Can I skate wet streets or in the rain?

Jokes about blowing things with wall power aside, couldn’t you pass DC current backwards through the vesc? Or is there a diode preventing this?
I don’t see how it’s different than Regen besides the phases not switching.

Hey this idea is basically like what I said before

Except the switch is the vesc.

Finally I think this isn’t possible due to needing custom firmware or hardware or something. Also it’s just two wires extra for a charge port can’t be too hard to seal.

Yeah but the efficiency sucks and you’re unnecessarily adding wear to components. It was only a suggestion, to have a no intrusion charging port.

1 Like

It’s honestly for shits and giggles, the worst part of my suggestion is that the noise is horrible. Having ran various boards on aluminum rollers for testing, I need ear plugs after a minute or two. You wouldn’t think it’s so loud but it is.

While wear & tear is a good argument against mechanical coupling, what if our charging station used a series of inductors? With current switching rhythmically in the inductors, it will be able to rotate the motor cans on the skateboard. The VESC on the skateboard can then harvest the EMF generated by the stator it is wired to.

2 Likes

That was half the argument, efficiency was the other.

TBH for me it makes no difference, since my battery and ESC is in my backpack anyway.

1 Like

So you’re saying, using 2 phase power to create a 3 phase induction motor coil to run the outrunner motor can as an inrunner which then turns the coil of the outrunner into a 3 phase generator which is turned into DC by the ESC… This is turning into some inception shit :joy:

3 Likes

indeed it would add a whole layer of complexity that can easily be avoided by mounting a socket into an enclosure. however on the flipside, it promises a simple docking solution, and no holes in the enclosure whatsoever. just put it up on blocks and there will be no wear and tear to the wheel, barely any wear to the drivetrain, right?
Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 3.02.36 PM

It would be the most hecking coolest thing. A rack on a wall with some cool coils above it, hang the board and it just spins up the motors quietly to recharge. I would buy that if it was the most inefficient thing still.

2 Likes