Can I skate wet streets or in the rain?

What acrylic coating are you using?

Edit: nvm, I stopped being lazy and looked at your history, this stuff.

2 Likes

Is this not neglectable when not charging? I thought the same thing but I just don’t know.

I am not entirely sure, maybe depends on the BMS? But I know that USB C ports on phones have a water/humidity sensor and the charging circuit actively prevents charging or power output if the port is wet.

1 Like

I was thinking the holes would be much smaller than a normal charge port hole, and totally covered by the contact itself. I think this could be glued to be a much better seal than the normal ports at least.

For preventing shorts from water I guess some kind of cover is needed. Another idea I just got is if you had an E-switch that disconnected the charge port.

2 Likes

I’ve eaten some pretty hard shit in the rain and some nasty smelling hubs so now I avoid when possible. Algae is a killer on these things

3 Likes

I ride in the rain constantly with my board. 107mm abec’s. The whole slippery when wet is blown out in my opinion. Depending on the wheels you have ofcourse. My old boosted stealth was quite slippery but still not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I can brake about 75% without wheelslip with a bioboard radium and accelerate 100% without wheelslip. Ofcourse you can not take corners as fast but do you drive your car equally as fast in the rain as in the dry? No? So far so good. I however added about 1 pound of sillicone to the casing and a drainageport (If water gets in somehow i can check for it). And anyway i ride in the rain because i cant really justify having a board for 2500bucks that i can only ride for 100 days out of the year.

4 Likes

How much current can inductive charging carry?

2 Likes

There’s no real limit. Every transformer is an inductive charger. Qualcomm developed a 22kW wireless charger for Formula E.

3 Likes

realistically 1 amp max at an eskates size. The problem is the enclosures thickness. the square law is a bitc* when it comes to inductive charging

6 Likes

Tastes differ - for me it is just the opposite :slightly_smiling_face:. Love tiding in the rain!

An enclosure can be thinned down at the point of charging, or have an embedded coil.

3 Likes

I agree, the coil can be just laid under skin of fiberglass

2 Likes

Or you know. Use the generators that’s already strapped to the board :joy: stick the board on a motorized dyno and hit the brakes.

2 Likes

Would that be more efficient?

Absolutely not. From wall power to battery charging I imagine possibly 20-30% efficiency at best.

3 Likes

So now you know why not.

Different goal though. For 0 intrusion through the enclosure other than mandatory motor wires and can charge literally any board.

You’re talking about adding inductive charger coils when the motors themselves are literally like wound inductors. Might as well use them.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is that I should hook up 3 phase wall power to the output of my VESC?

1 Like

^^ i read @BluPenguin as saying to mechanically couple your 3 phase wall power to your 3 phase VESC. sounds like a pretty dope, pretty watertight solution when the municipal utility brings you so much electricity that charging efficiency is irrelevant

1 Like

Yeah idk about electrically coupling it. Some interesting things might happen.

1 Like