CAD Ideas and Inspiration (Serious)

Breaking News: Barrels are less springy than springs! More on this at 8, folks.

ā€¦jk, jk
Seems easier to design for barrels anyway so Iā€™ll probably run with that.

1 Like

I agree. Turning was a battle for me on every spring truck I tried. I like gradually easing into a turn with increasing resistance.

The wedge shape seems like the logical choice when thinking about hanger and deck pivoting back and forth in the center. Layout has room to play.

2 Likes

Well they can provide the same resistance/reactive force, but they donā€™t release as much of the energy again at the end of a turn, this dampens oscillation and means you can run them softer without getting wobbles.

So Iā€™ve been toying with some ideas and I saw the thread about adapting non-mtb decks to mtb trucks and I had an idea.
What about positioning the axle of the channel truck in the slot where a normal truck would drop through on a drop-through deck?
You could theoretically get mtb trucks on whatever dt deck you wanted to without ruining your ride height.

1 Like

Next step, rough it out in cad and post it here :slight_smile: Iā€™m keen to see it.

1 Like

Like dis?

Please make your mock up look better than mine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ahhh, not quite.
Iā€™ll throw together some cad and demonstrate Soonā„¢

2 Likes

adjustable base plates are fine, but i cant help myself staying at standard trucks because i would never trust any bolt on my base holding the hanger.
But itz just me

what do you mean

sorry for highjackin havent read just seen the dont trip truck and as i know adjustabe base plates are liked by very much riders. All i mentioned is the only screw or bolt i fucking have to trust is the kingpin nothing more.
Which means if there are more bolts and screws on the truck you have to take more care they didnt come lose, you know what i mean?
imagine the bolts crack while you ride or something. that would end up horrible or isnt that possible?

Id be more concerned of the aluminium cracking before that.

People here are using adj baseplates in the stupidest of ways thats for sure. I also havenā€™t seen a solid design for them. Those donā€™t trip ones just look so thinā€¦

3 Likes

could also happen.
The reasons to use them are different from rider to rider, and the possibility to change wedges is a very big pro, but it means nothing when you re dead.
Ppl have to learn that there is much more force on an eskate truck than on a regular longboard truck.
Itz like on meepo or emertion trucks. This concept of mounting the hub motors will never work.

3 Likes

Good points. Itā€™s a challenge for sure. Thereā€™s a lot of copying going on for esk8ā€“ well anything EV or electronics really. Reverse engineering a piece of electronics is much more involved than taking some measurements from aluminum and redrawing the part in CAD.
For the most part, we have several variations of different parts right now and usually one or two stand out because theyā€™re just designed better from the start. Which is really dependent on the CAD and engineering skills of the hobbiest/enthusiast/student/side project thatā€™s building them. Thatā€™s not a slight to any of our vendors by any means. We have some great products available and I greatly respect the time spend developing them.
However, I do think that open development with the community can make sure that youā€™re targeting the biggest populations and giving them what they want.
As a customer, Iā€™m happy to see the options we have, but I recognize that we could do much better.
Most of our vendors are great at sharing designs, using community testers and so on. And I commend them for it. Because none of our current vendors invented these concepts. Theyā€™re just copying what others have done and adding their own flare. Rarely do we see a new feature. All about whose designing the component best for your application

3 Likes

Thatā€™s beef.

Iā€™ve been thinking about filling the extrusion on the base of my 3D printer with epoxy or expanding high density foam. Would add weight, stability, reduce resonance etc. could probably really make those aluminum box tube solid.

Any thoughts on this as a good thing?

1 Like

This piece of aluminum is beastly, I donā€™t think it needs anything more as itā€™s so strong and dense as is.

Hereā€™s a test I did. I weight 155lbs for reference. The extrusion is 4ft long.

3 Likes

What are we referring to here?

@Venom121212 @bwahl602

I canā€™t speak for other dude but personally:

People sharing their new ideas as a platform for others to build on vs choosing to not share their ideas/info out of monetary interest.

Of course there are many shades in between.

1 Like

Yea. Thereā€™s R&D for the vendor that needs reimbursed.

@moon not you. Iā€™m referring mostly toward budget end stuff - where some design considerations could make a big difference

2 Likes

I would like to start community designed components like belt drive and gear drive setups. Let the community help design it with the best components and geometry etc

Iā€™m playing around with this now. 3D printed motor mounts. 90% of whatā€™s on the market is universal - ish forward/rearward mounting and way too long for forward mounting.
Designing around a specific purpose can make the product so much better rather than the universal stuff. Big improvements to ground clearance

Thereā€™s been less and less coming out for non pneumatic setups too.

1 Like