CAD Ideas and Inspiration (Serious)

This is a place to post all your crazy CAD, whether your working on a production part or just testing an idea.

The goal here is to share ideas, find inspiration / motivation, get constructive feedback and maybe learn something.

Discussion on design features and manufacturing processes are encouraged but lets try keep it on topic.

13 Likes

one thing ive been looking at is a compact gear drive for a 4WD baord.

my main goals are:

• ~4:1 ratio
  • good clearance
  • keep the motors tucked in close to the hangar.
  • designed with smaller motors you dont need to transmit as much power

current thoughts are a 2 stage chain drive:

or a mod1.5 gear drive:

Im currently leaning towards the gear drive as i think it will be easier to package into a workable drive. maybe something like this with metal gears and a huge bearing so that wheels can be hot swapped.

17 Likes

Been thinking about if the pivot point of the hanger makes and difference to the ride feel

im thinking that the left most truck will dip the COG most when in a corner which may cause stability issues. maybe right would give the most stable right?

7 Likes

12s8p top mount battery packs i have been thinking about. using fusion to test the total size for different cell layouts

12s8p square layout. seems a little long to me

Same but with a staggered cell packs

also tried rotating the cells another way but it didn’t save me much space

11 Likes

To shorten the length you could place one or two rows on top of the pack and the bms has also some space left.

1 Like

That a drawing for a 21700 40T pack

1 Like

I like your thinking but im trying to keep it as “low profile” as i can. Im not a big fan of top mount battery box’s but it seems to be the only way to get good range without sacrificing ground clearance.

1 Like

For me a Pelican case 1200. It has a relative low low heaight of 10 cm. So it is ok.

I believe the further the pivot point from the hanger, the more turning capability you will have. Definitely will depend on the dampening system but I see the right as being a super carvy mtb and the left being a racing mtb setup.

2 Likes

What makes you say this? My guess would be that the longer mount on the left would make the deck move around more and so make it less stable at speed, but better for carve. With the right being more stable. But this is just a guess and i have no data to back this up.

Its interesting that the hyper truck

and matrix 2

both seem to have a pivot point that is quite close to the axle.

5 Likes

It would be interesting to see the relationship between kingpin to axle distances vs turning circle. Everything else the same bc science.

Relooking at it I agree with you and renig my original comment. No idea what I was envisioning. Clearly you want the axis of rotation down the hanger.

New thought though, what will the center of the hanger being off center do between your left and right designs?

Vs

More turning but maybe likely to roll given the down force of gravity ?

2 Likes

is this true or is this just an assumption?

my guess would be that shifting the pivot does make a difference. lowering the pivot means that the COG is higher relative to the pivot, making it inherantley less stable, in an extreme case if you could raise the pivot to above the board COG it should self centre without any bushings.

1 Like

Not sure. Maybe @CHAINMAILLEKID has some answers on this topic.

What I meant by the keep the same is that, if you changed the kingpin distance you wouldn’t change anything else about the trucks. Not really possible unless you make two trucks or it can be adjusted.

I think that idea about cog and center of rotation might be running into the pendulum fallacy. Not sure though.

1 Like

This will have an effect akin to rake in rkp trucks. Basically add more non linearity to the turn vs lean.

Working on a custom motor with some friends…
It’s not strictly for esk8 but I’m trying to steer it towards having the flexibility to be adapted to our sinister purposes… :smiling_imp:

So if anyone’s down for a switchable 44/75kv motor that’s 80a-capable… Keep one ear open :stuck_out_tongue:
Disclaimer - we’re still very much in R&D so don’t expect anything tangible for a while lol.

11 Likes

This box is similar to what I have in mind, nice to see that it doesn’t look that bulky

How accurate is the deck and trucks drawings? And could you share them? My trucks are on the way but if I would love to start designing the mounts early

1 Like

What does this refer too? How is it different from other direct drives?

Essentially, our design will allow the same motor to operate at either 44 or 75 kv, without changing anything inside the motor.

4 Likes