Bushing Help! (and some rolling resistance questions)

So I have just completed my first DIY board, coming from a boosted stealth. I didnt like the lack of range, and I swapped the pulleys for higher speed, but torque took a massive trade off. I went with a FocBox unity, dual 6384 motors, the torqueboards 218 trucks and pneumatic wheel kit and a evo falcon. 12s6p battery made of 40t cells. Its a monster. The issue I had on my first ride on the board was getting up to 25 mph, and getting wobbles, so I let go of throttle and instantly eat shit hard because of the sudden deceleration of the board. How do I reduce the rolling resistance on pneumatic wheels?
The other question I have is bushings. I know squat about them, and i need some help. I am around 150lbs and want stability at speeds, while still being able to have enough maneuverability to get around a college campus. I dont mind tightening before I do a speed run, but if there is a way to get something that i can set up and just forget about, it would be ideal.
Thanks for the help in advance!

1 Like

@RipTideSports sports is the best in da biz for bushings hands down. Heā€™ll get you sorted!

3 Likes

So @RipTideSports is the big bushings guy here

I think the harder the bushing (they are measured with the symbol ā€˜aā€™) the better it is for speed (at least thatā€™s what I think)

Also make sure your belts arenā€™t to tight as that can reduce rolling resistance
Or if you use idlers then that can be a problem to

2 Likes

What @Halbj613 said is true until a certain point. Say, if I at 105 pounds where to ride Rkp trucks with 99a bushings it would just be complete shit. I would not be able to turn and the board would be driving me around which leads to me leaning to far and tumbling off at 30mph.

Tell @RipTideSports/Brad your weight, height, trucks, and what bushings are in the board right now and he should be able to get you pretty sorted from their!

4 Likes

You guys should really tune in to this thread: Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

3 Likes

@Craftycamper, can you tell me what trucks you have and their base plate angles? Are you an experienced analog skater? Posting some pictures would be good so I can see what we are up against!

1 Like

@RipTideSports I am using Torqueboards 218 trucks, im not sure what the base plate angle for those is, but they are completely stock. I am using an Evo Falcon, which has angles where the trucks mount.

Theres a photo of the board when it was being built, but it shows the trucks well enough.
I am not very experienced with analog skating, but I have about 250 miles on my boosted board, stock bushings.

1 Like

Sick looking ride! Normally TB-218 come with 50 degree base plates so your end result is a 60/40 degree split adding the deckā€™s angles. Are the trucks currently equipped with a cone / barrel set up? If so, for now, put the barrels in the back and the cones in the front and give that a try. Ideally I think you should change out the base plates for 44 degree ones so you will have a 54 / 34 split and add some new bushings and the pivot cups we make for them.

6 Likes

If the angle is the same as my little Evo then I think the split is 65/35ā€¦ I could be wrong though!

1 Like

@RipTideSports Ill try running barrels in the back and cones up front, where would I find the 44 degree baseplates? I would prefer to change bushings before stepping up to the baseplate changes solely because ive dumped more money than I would like to into this board as a college student and want to try some cheaper options first.

1 Like

I gave you the first option. Does it have Cones / Barrels? Sorry, just reread! Try the repositioning of the bushings and be careful to watch for wheel bite when you make any changes. I donā€™t mean to be snappyā€¦it has been a long day

2 Likes

So, i went on a 4-5 mile ride today after putting barrels on the back and cones up front. It definitely feels a lot better to ride at high speeds, and feels way more stable while still being maneuverable. It just feels a bit dead to ride, its hard to describe. @RipTideSports

2 Likes

you need a higher rebound bushingā€¦ mine felt the same, wooden, before @RipTideSports and I had a go at tuning in the bushingsā€¦ now she is lively and ā€œpopsā€ coming off a hard carveā€¦

EDIT:

and as youā€™ve learnedā€¦ donā€™t wing the throttle or chop it suddenlyā€¦ wacky things will happenā€¦

2 Likes

OK, cool, glad that helped. I suggest the following to get the most for the least $. Replace the pivot cups with Caliber II WFB 96a and run a Cone / FatCone front and a Cone / Chubby rear in APS 87.5a (Hope you like Pink!). For a little $ more you can get KranK 87a in the same shapes and they have a bit more rebound and adjustability when compared to APS. If you donā€™t wnat to order three pairs of bushings to get the 3 shapes, just put a note on the order to mix a pair of Chubbys to make a Chubby / FatCone pair. The pivot cups I mentioned above make a big difference in smoothing out the turning.

1 Like

Can you elaborate more on how rebound and maximum lean compare on APS, WFB, and KranK?

I know APS and WFB have higher than usual lean but does KranK give that up for adjustability?

2 Likes

KranK leans nearly as much as APS but it ramps up in resistance faster. This is why on a lot of my KranK set ups I have them just tight enough to take all the rattle and slop out of the stack. This allows me to have a relatively loose setup in the center for changing direction quickly yet I can dive in deep when I commit to a turn and it will still support me as hit the depth of the lean I am going for.

4 Likes

So APS will still have a more surfy feel to them?

2 Likes

Yes, I would say so but KranK really supports a deep carve well depending on how you set them up. APS is extremely popular in disciplines that involve pumping like LDP

3 Likes