Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

@Soflo will fill everyone in on what we discussed on Facebook. Please in the future, if you post here and simultaneously contact me on Facebook and do not tell me you posted here, it doubles what I need to do and seriously, I have enough on my plate without doing things twice, thank you all!

3 Likes

Hey man! I have some Surf-Rodz TKP trucks coming in and wanted some advice on bushings and pivot cups. I’m going to be using an Evo Falcon deck and my angles would be 60/30. I’m shooting for 35-38 mph. I weigh 100 pounds and I am 5ft 3in.
Thanks in Advance! @RipTideSports

1 Like

@DEEIF are you sure they are TKP’s? Their RKP’s come in 45 degree base plates but the TKP is a very different geometry and measured differently

2 Likes

@RipTideSports it is definitely the TKP trucks, I just got the baseplate angle/geometry mixed up :joy: Do you have any bushings that fit the TKP?

Cool, SZ TKP’s normally benefit from harder bushings than you would normally use in other trucks since they are so twitchy. For the spit you are running and your weight, i would run a Barrel / FatCone combination front and back. I would go with KranK 87a up front and 90 in the back. If you order from us just order a pair of KranK Barrels and FatCones in 90a and ask us to mix the pairs 87a and 90a.

3 Likes

Alright, thanks so much! So I just order KranK barrels and fatcones in 90a and then ask for a mix of 87a and 90a? Also, do you recommend switching pivot cups? If so to what kind?

2 Likes

Yes on the order instructions: I would change the pivots after riding a bit if they need it. Stick with WFB 96a.

2 Likes

Just took my SR TKPs our for their first spin. Pretty much topped at 33-34 before it became wildly unstable. Weigh 150-160 with gear. Currently have barrel/canon front 90a and canon 93a/Fatcone90a in rear(its just what I had lying around from my RKPs) should I do your recommended setup for this gentleman but stepped up 1 duro?

2 Likes

G’day Brad - really love your work.

Keen to order some riptide kit - tunnel risers, bushings and pivot cups - but was hoping for some sage guidance first.

The setup will be E-Caliber 50s on a Loaded Vanguard Flex 3. Bushings currently stock.

I weigh 70kgs (154lbs) and am looking for something that will carve nicely, with a good bit of snap, but without being twitchy at 35-40km/h. Basically, I commute on the board and like to carve when the paths are wider (25% of the trip).

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best,
ARCBR

1 Like

Are you able to dewedge the rear a bit @KfromtheBay

1 Like

If you think it’s necessary, I have a little bit of adjustment available on motor mounts to compensate for the de-wedge. What degree angle of adjustment would you suggest?
I would prefer not to, but it is likely doable

1 Like

Well as you have experienced, SZ TKP’s are a bit unruly and I suggest running a synthetic split if you don’t want to do an actual split, that is just running harder bushings in back than the front. What bushings are in them currently?

1 Like

Currently krank 90a barrel/canon in the front and krank 93acanon/90a fatcone in the rear. It’s what I had available to swap out the stock bushings. Was thinking of getting a 93a fatcone to put boardside in the rear and then move the 90a fatcone to the front boardside

I would order a mixed pair of FatCones, KranK 93a and 96a Use the 93 up front boardside and the 96 in the back boardside

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Brad! If that doesn’t do the trick I will try the dewedge!

2 Likes

In the many years I have been boarding, I actually never even stepped into this, just always went with loose or tight.

Anyhows, could use recomendations on 2 boards.

I weigh 175 lbs, prefer a stiffer controlled ride (cause fast), but still like to carve around in crowded areas.

Stock TB 218s top mounted on a hummie deck, 107mm abecs on there.

Stock 50 Calibers on an arbor deck, bottom mounted, 3/4 inch risers (mandatory for motors but could use recomendations for new as they are crap) 97mm abecs.

1 Like

Hey Brad! I see people have asked about Surfrodz TKP, but would you give the same advice for their RKP.

I’m 250lbs and the will be on an evo.

I want to change everything I need to to keep them as stable as possible!

Thanks for all the advice you give the community!

3 Likes

I just wanted to stop back in and give a huge thank you!
Brad @RipTideSports helped me with my setup. I just got everything installed and it’s night and day difference. So smooth at speed, I’ll be joining the 40mph club with this setup.

5 Likes

Hey Randy, @FourteeOZ, to be helpful, in order to make a recommendation on your setups, I really need to know what issues you are having. What aspects do you want different compared to what you have? I do not always recommend changing the bushings because often, the stock bushings are fine and the fix may be as simple as changing out some of you cupped washers for flat washers or rearranging what you have.

@Itsmedant, with the evo being designed for Randal 35 degree base plates way back when where you ended up with something close to a 50 / 20 base plate split, running SZ 50’s you end up with a 65 / 35 split which can be a bit extreme. In any event, the front 65 will have far less leverage over the bushings than the rear 35 and you will need to compensate for that difference to balance it out. In practical terms there are two ways to accomplish this:

1: Use all the same durometer but different shapes in different positions. For your 250 pounds, something like a KranK 96a Cone / Barrel front and KranK 96a Barrel / FatCone rear with cupped washers on all bushings except the FatCone the should be close to what you need

2: Compensate for the split with Durometer and run a KranK 90a Barrel / Barrel front and a KranK 96a Barrel / Barrel rear. Another fun setup is a KranK 90a Barrel / FatCone front and a KranK 96a Barrel / FatCone rear. The FatCone was designed for SZ trucks because they do not fit our Chubbys and the offer a progressive ramp up in resistance compared to a Barrel that is more linear.

2 Likes