Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

Just took it out for a little run and honestly I have zero complaints with the current set-up (30/60 Krank 93 Cannons in all 4 positions except the rear boardside, which is a Magnum, with flat washers).

It’s hard to tell but it may be that front end it just ever so slightly less stable at high speed with this set-up. I’d like to be able to hit some hard turns on dime if possible with this set-up, do you have suggestions to increase the carviness/better turning radius without compromising stability at high speed? I ride with a downhill stance, putting alot of weight on the front of my board - would you suggest a different approach to stance for this set-up? Thanks again @RipTideSports

1 Like

What washer configuration do you have with the Canons @whaddys? Also remember the starting point for KranK adjustment is just tight enough to remove all the slop then you have about 2 full turns of the king pin nut to adjust

So for both front and back the washer config is big flat (riptide) washer boardside and small flat (organgatang) washer roaside. I only used the OTang washers because I only had 2 of your big flat ones lol, optimally I would be using your big flat ones in all 4 positions.

This is good to know, I’ll redo the compression bearing this in mind and play around tomorrow. I generally have the back much tighter than the front - is this the best approach for stability at high speed while dialing in my turning?

Get some cupped washers for the Canons and adjust from there.

1 Like

Will give it a go thanks for taking the time Brad!

2 Likes

@janpom you could definitely benefit from softer bushings, I just wanted you to try something with what you had available. I suggest 1 pair of KranK 90a Canons and a mixed pair of a KranK 90a FatCone and a Chubby then run a Canon / FatCone front and a Canon / Chubby rear

2 Likes

@RipTideSports I just wanna say this is a FANTASTIC fucking set-up. Loosened the trucks as you advised and tightened within the 2 full-turns and it carves and is stable at 38MPH with the split angles and krank 93 bushings. Just wanna say thank you for doing the science behind this and I am fucking stoked rn with this set-up :pray::pray::pray:

7 Likes

@RipTideSports Thanks a lot for the recommendation! I checked the KrankK 90a bushings on your website and I realized that may actually be what I already have. I looked at your APS bushings before. For those the green ones are 97.5a so I assumed that’s the duro I have. Is there an easy way to distinguish between the KrankK 90a and APS 97.5a?

Sorry for the confusion. I didn’t purchase the bushings myself. They came with the pre-owned board I got.

Update: Never mind. They are a pair of Canon/Chubby KrankK 90a. So that’s pretty much what you propose except you recommend one FatCone instead of Chubby but I guess that doesn’t make a whole lot of a difference. I’ll just stick with that setup. I guess I can’t expect miracles from narrow RKP trucks when it comes to making sharp turns. Thanks again!

1 Like

Yes - 50 degrees. I feel I need a softer bushing at only 70kg. I think the standard ones included are for heavier people but I do not know which Riptide ones I should choose.

Witch side gets more compresion force? Board side or roadside?

2 Likes

Narrow trucks turn just fine so move down to the next duro softer like a Krank 87a. If you stick with the 90’s ad they are too stiff, be sure to use flat washers all around and do not tighten them much past snug.

1 Like

I think boardside does. And probably more so on TKP than RKP but I could be wrong.

1 Like

In most cases boardside since it also has to support the riders weight

1 Like

Any recommendations?

2 Likes

Sorry @gibber for the delay, I will try to get to this today

What are your thoughts on running trucks with 2.5mm of rake in the front and trucks with 7-8mm of rake and deweged 10degrees in the rear? ( cast katana vs older cast design. If they are ever in stock and if i can replace axle for wider width)

1 Like

Hey @RipTideSports I need help. I have TB218 trucks with stock bushings on a Hummie deck with Tourqueboard 110mm wide wheels (65mm wide). My ride feels crap. Previously I had stockCaliber 2 50 degrees and absolutely loved them. I weigh 95kg.

I’m trying to replicate the Caliber feel. I usually ride 20-30mph with lots of carving at speed. Biggest issue I have at the moment is turning radius, I’m struggling to make any sharp turns at low to mid speeds. I prefer a tighter back truck too and want to avoid speed wobbles. What do you suggest.

1 Like

Yes @gibber, looking at your assembled pictures, you kingpin nit is way too tight which may be contributing to the system feeling too hard to you. For your weight, KranK 87 or APS 87.5 Canons should work well for you. Start out with the bushings just tight enough to take out all the rattle and use cupped washers to start with.

Hey @Titoxd1000, I have never tried what you describe bit I think it should work since the dewedge is compensating somewhat for larger rake numbers in the rear.

2 Likes

Are your stock TB trucks equipped with a Cone / Barrel setup? If so, try running both Cones up front and the Barrels in the rear to see if you like that.