Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

Hit me up if you need any better pictures or different angles!

Here are the torqued values to work with to maximize the fastener strength: http://www.federalscrewproducts.com/torque-chart.htm

Bending is less of an issue than breaking bit it does appear some shifting of the stack is occurring. Proper torque may eliminate that issue. Many base plates also have additional holes available to add additional bolts to further stabilize the stack.

4 Likes

Dash, with Surf Rods TKP trucks you need to do a lot of experimenting to get them right and often use harder or bigger bushings than you would use in other trucks. I would also consider further reducing the rear angle to further reduce rear steering input. The single drive you are using can torque steer the rear end and that can easily induce wobbles. Adding a second drive unit will reduce this issue but not completely neutralize it.

1 Like

Thanks Brad! I’ve gotten pretty used to the torque steer now, but I’m going to go on a short ride today and test out the angles and see where I should go from there!

1 Like

@RipTideSports any eta on re-stock of the surf-rodz pivots?

1 Like

Thank you @RipTideSports apreciate the information & resource! Exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

Hopefully towards the end of next week if the plant remains virus free.

1 Like

@RipTideSports any thoughts on the above? Appreciate it!

OK, sorry, from what I can tell the trucks you have are a Caliber clone but they take Street height .5" roadside and our Longboard height .6" boardside. I would not bother with making all the changes except possibly de-wedging the rear 5 to 10 degrees. I would suggest a pair of KranK 87a StreetBarrels roadside front and back and a KranK 87a FatCone boardside front and a Chubby boardside rear. I would be guessing the trucks use Caliber II but I cannot confirm hat at this point. Exway you are waiting for, they often gear the to your weight range so I would ride it first before fixing it. It might feel just right to you.

1 Like

Either pick up a 44 degree Caliber base plate for the rear or build a de-wedge 6 to 10 degrees, it will help a lot

1 Like

If you are looking for UK stores, try this. Not sure what they have in stock though. https://riptidesports.com/pages/about-riptide/retail-stores.html

I am a bit confused by what you are looking for in that you want is stiff for commuting under 20kph. Please explain further and let me know how the board is handling currently and shat you want to change about it.

1 Like

My experience with bushings is that they are either stiff and can’t turn, or so gummy that i get speed wobbles. I don’t have the board fully assembled yet.

1 Like

OK, cool, sorry you have such experiences with bushings, we will change that. Get it all assembled and ride it to determine the shortcomings and we will use that as a data point to make improvements.

1 Like

Thanks so much Brad! Couple clarifying questions before I check out my cart online. Are the fatcones regular or street (you recommended krank street barrel and noticed there were two types of fatcones as well)? I am assuming the chubbys are also 87a? What brand of risers do you recommend for varying and ‘dewedging’ the front and back height? PS- how can I return the favor for your advice? Review? Consulting fee? I just want to pay it forward, where/when it’s due. You’re awesome.

1 Like

I am here to help you achieve the ride they are looking for if possible so no worries, I am happy to help. Street (.5" tall) for your roadside bushings and Longboard .(6" tall) for your boardside bushings. Khiro wedges from Sk8Kings and please let us know here if what I suggested worked or needs further tuning. I am here to learn also.

Thanks! So to ‘de-wedge’ the rear trucks I assume I’ll need to get one set of Khiro Flat hard risers (for the front trucks) at the highest height (9/16) and another set of angled wedge risers for the rear trucks, either the 3/16 to 9/16 (for 7 degree wedge) set or the 5/16 to 9/16 (for 5 degree wedge) set. I just wasn’t sure what size the front riser should be. Should i get 80a or 60a for the shock (Khiro offers both duros)? Also, would i need to get 2.5-3" mounting hardware to accommodate all this?

1 Like

I find it hilarious that wedge makers to not tell you the angle. You will need to compensate in the front plus longer fasteners. Did not know they offered different hardness’s. As a personal rule, I opt for hard plastic risers as I find shock pad’s performance dubious at best

2 Likes

So so so true. I find myself doing math when ordering risers. Albeit just comparing fractions but still. Just put the angle next to the damn thing.

1 Like

For those less adept, take the tall side minus the short side for length value “a” then the overall length of the riser for length value “b” to calculate angle “a”.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/right-triangle-side-angle

1 Like

@RipTideSports any chance you guys gonna be getting some surf rodz pivot cups in stock anytime in the near future?

1 Like