Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

Very odd they went through all the trouble to make adjustable plates and failed to mention the range of adjustability. Do you know the range of available angles?

1 Like

I’ll ask Mike

Do you have any specific suggestions for my setup?

1 Like

So I’m told the range is up to 60 and each notch is 5 degrees

2 Likes

Ok, I will be back in the AM with some suggestions @andrewmunsell and @DJ4se

2 Likes

@RipTideSports

Hi Brad, I need to setup some new elofty direct drives, i got them without trucks, just the tkp hangars.

so need to source everything, except the baseplate, and would like to get anything from riptide.

not sure the angle, will check tonight with an inclinometer as you’ve advised.

i’m 150lb, these drives shouldn’t go more than 25mph. seeking a mix of carve and stability at speed.

previously when i upgraded bushings for the TB 218mm trucks, i used cupped washers and insert bushings (don’t recall duro) and this setup felt great to me. i’m hoping to reproduce that setup on this tkp setup.

thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay @andrewmunsell. I would suggest picking up a mixed pair of KranK 87a Cones / Canon, a pair of Canons and a pair of Magnums so you will have a bunch of combinations to try and find the perfect setup. With 1 Cone , 3 Canons and 2 Magnums you can try the following front to back Roadside / Boardside:

Cone / Cone - Canon / Canon
Cone / Canon - Canon / Canon
Cone / Canon - Canon / Magnum
Cone / Canon - Magnum / Magnum
Canon / Canon - Canon / Magnum
Canon / Canon - Magnum / Magnum

There are other combination but the ones listed above represent a progression in stability and can accommodate additional de-wedging in the rear if you like

2 Likes

OK @DJ4se and @Kellag here goes: To summarize, you are taking TB DD and putting them on plates that adjust up to 60 degrees but go to some unknown (perhaps 0 degree). In addition, you will be going from street height bushings (.5") to tall bushings which are just over .75" tall. When you change bushing height, the taller you go the harder you need for a similar response so as an example using a street height 90a, you may need a 93 or 96a to match the response. Another thing to consider is as urethane durometer goes up, rebound goes down so if you are at the upper end of the weight scale, the taller bushings rebound will be less than the shorter bushings.

A good starting point for experimenting with a split setup is to set base plate angles to 50 front / 30 rear. At 182 lbs I would start with two pair of KranK 90a TallBarrels and one pair of KranK 93a Tall Barrels plus have some cupped and flat washers available to further tune with. Use our SZ 96a pivots. Start out with flat washers in the front and cupped in the back on the 90a and the bushings just tight enough to take out all the slop in the stack. Add in a boardside rear 93a if needed, especially if you go to a shallower angle in the rear.

4 Likes

Thanks brother love u

4 Likes

Unfortunately TKP trucks do not translate well regarding base plate angle since they do not have perpendicular rotational axis like a RKP has. Can you post the height of the top and bottom bushing plus pictures of the top and bottom bushing seat so I can see what shapes the hangers will accept? Also, what is the diameter of the pivot cup hole in the base plate?

2 Likes

Will definitely get some measurements tonight and update, thanks again Brad.

1 Like

Hey this is more than I could of asked for I really appreciate it. Can’t wait to test it out and I’ll def let you know how it feels.

1 Like

Brad, PM sent a few days ago. Could you take a look and tell best bushing & pivot cups combination? Cheers.

1 Like

go ahead and ask him here. he likes others to see his answers so that it may help someone else with the same questions.

2 Likes

I got these patients x you, Brad.

• SurfRodz RKP 200mm with 10mm axles and Adjustable Base Plates
  • Currently no Bushings in the Trucks
  • Want Stability
  • Cruising
  • for 34" Wooden -Trampa like- Deck and Drop-trough
  • 75 kgs (165 pounds)

Cheers Bro.

4 Likes

Thanks @pixelsilva, there a lot of holes in that deck. Are you top mounting it or drop through. Do you know the angle of the kicks and how much adjustability your base plates have? Checking out for the night so no rush on the answers

1 Like

Tentatively Drop-trough. Got to fix both mount openings for the adjustable base plates. If too much trouble, then I will go Top mount. Don’t worry about the holes. This is a second hand deck. Previous user had bindings, that’s why so many holes. 0° - 60° degree adjustable base plates. As for the kicks angle°, don’t know? Perhaps 25° degrees? what do you think? … :point_down:

(never mind the PNL plate and Haggy hanger there)

1 Like

you starting a new build?

1 Like

OK, I would say 15 to 20, get an app for your smartphone like https://www.plaincode.com/products/clinometer/

Let’s assume it is 20 degree kicks.

So 0-60 plus 20 gives you effectively a 80 to 20 degree base plate range so you will need to adjust both the front and back to something more manageable. Your most practical setting will be a 50 to 60 degree front and a 30 to 40 degree rear if you want a split setup.

Being an older deck I would suggest using our aluminum backing frames to reinforce the cut out area to make the setup more stable. As for bushings, I would get a pair of KranK 90a Cones, two pair of KranK 90a Barrels and one pair of KranK 90a FatCones so you have various combinations to work with when determining the exact angles you want to rock! Our SZ 96a pivots will work great in them and the backing frame will tie it all together!

https://www.riptidesports.com/backing-frames-for-drop-through-trucks/

2 Likes

Boardside bushing

diameter - 1" - 25mm

height - 5/8" - 14mm

inner hole diameter - 3/8" - 10mm

Roadside bushing

height - 3/8" - 10mm

Pivot cup hole

diameter - 5/8" - 16mm

inner diameter - 7/16" - 12mm

@RipTideSports