šŸ”„Burning Board: Nov 11,12,13. tinkering, adventuring in Joshua Tree, CA

Burning Board, Desert meet up

• My house, Located between Twentynine Palms and Joshua Tree, California. one block from the Indian Cove Joshua Tree National Park entrance.

• November 11, 12, 13, 2022

• Bring your board, safety gear, projects you are working on.

• I am responsible with this event, but organizing Esk8 is like herding cats, electric cats.

• Free

@klaus79856 @jansen, Sydney (destroyer of deckoz ), and I will all be at my place for that week, and I figure, why not try to host a bigger group?

I have individually spoken to @MarioChacon, @ShutterShock, @JaysTCB, @Mikenopolis and others about swinging by sometime. This event/meet up is a great way to guilt trip them into visiting.

The house is particularly well suited for this.
-I have only one directly adjacent neighbor and they donā€™t bother me.
-No HOA
-room for 3-4 more to sleep on cots/couches/ air mattresses I have. You can bring your own bedding and 5-10 more could fit. 4 bedrooms, large living room.
-fenced backyard (could camp if you wanted). November will cold at night, reasonable to warm during day.
-there are is a 6 mile round trip, inclined, paved, low traffic route into the national park from my house. Maybe we can do time trials, or Outlaw races at dusk or dawn.

If there is interest, I can reserve a group campsite, in the national park, two miles from my house and skate back for bathroom, shower, water or tequila/vodkašŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø*

Events:

-battery building, tinkering in the Laboratory (garage)

-Dirtbike jumps and trails 0.5 miles away, off-road, deeper sand

-parts swap and tinkering

-3d printing, (one bedroom has 6 printers in it, bring filament if you want to print)

-group rides. Routes TBD. There is the national park, Palmsprings is 45 mins away and has a few interesting spots. And there is the Dolores Lake, the abandoned waterpark that several analogue and electric folks have hit up (SoCalLegend and others) is 2 hours away.

So there it is. Iā€™m taking a week off from work while Klause is in town. Something is happening out here even if no one comes. Open to suggestions. Can provide address by DM at this point.

Im not 100% on hosting racing. Itā€™s stressful getting ready to race, it is a ton of work as an organizer, and Iā€™m not sure 50% of folks here are ā€œride or die, see you on race dayā€ kinda riders.

However, If Sk8tan wills it, expect 2.5 mile course, one way, similar to Barrett Junction. Roads are a little better, not as steep or curvy. Urethane could probably make it. Commercial boards can tolerate the incline.

24 Likes

Reserved for final details.

Oh man if getting my passport back in order wasnā€™t so hard Iā€™d totally be there. Sounds like my exact cup of tea. Bunch of nerds making dangerous vehicles do dangerous things in a desert.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll see what I can do to make it down.

3 Likes

If you do, and you fly, Iā€™ll have loaner packs.

-12s, 14-15ah, emtb/lunchbox lipo packs x 3
-12s, lifepo a123, pack
-complete buddy board emtb
-@DEEIF BOTY board
-EUC, in motion V11
-a few other flat packs.

2 Likes

Your 12s7p went into the buddy board emtb. You have dibs if you make it.

2 Likes

Mike, why do you have so many batteries laying around? I think we need to turn this whole event into an intervention :joy:

Sounds like a blast, wish it wasnā€™t so far away.

3 Likes

How do we turn this into a work trip @BenjaminF ?

6 Likes

Schedule a demo day with a local shop lol

Joshua tree National park would be a killer place for some product pics :sunglasses: bring a dadbod

5 Likes

Maybe Iā€™ll pop on by for just a day

1 Like

I have two wheelchairs. They are not electricā€¦ yet

1 Like

Do I have to pick up @DEEIF ?

If heā€™s allowed out.

This is my neck of the woods and my typical ride to the park and then to the corner market.

2 Likes

Not going to lie, this is kind of tempting even with flights being so expensive all the time. :thinking:

Only issue is I have 0 experience with sand when it comes to skating. Is it more or less sketchy than ridding in rain and ice with bald/ smooth thane?

1 Like

That looks like some good desert riding!

3 Likes

If Syd can do it, so can you!

2 Likes

Nearest larger airport is palmsprings. We can give you a lift.

Sand is only a problem if you leave the pavement. And technically, wheeled vehicles are not supposed to be off pavement. 10 guys on boards in the sand in the middle of the park will get us booted.

I think Iā€™ve started to learn how to read deep/soft sand areas. Itā€™s a problem in that street board pneumatic drive trains get bogged down, stall, and get stuck.

I find Keeping speed up and transferring most if not all wt to back foot (like snowboarding powder) and doing small bounces on board will get you through.

Turns can be a bad time unless sand is consistent.

1 Like

I wonder how well a dual motor e-scooter with knobby 10" tires would do

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good to know, getting an Uber or Lyft from the airport is always stupid expensive. Although I have no idea how to bring a board (minus the battery) and luggage on a plane.

Only times Iā€™ve dealt with sand is when a sandy soil had been washed onto a path via rain and then dried there. My board would always fishtail if I tried to break or turn ever so slightly in it. Not a big deal if riding alone but I have no way of knowing if the fishtailing is bad enough to get in other peopleā€™s way or not.

I canā€™t give any definitive answer but Iā€™ll look into if I can justify the trip or not in the next week or so.

1 Like