Bumblebee Battery Wholesale (EV battery modules and more!)

Unfortunately we cant ship batteries internationally at this time :confused:

I just launched coupon code ESK8NEWS on eBay for 5% off your order, exclusively for this community :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Is the 4S here a typo or does it mean 4x some sub-module in series?

1 Like

That’s a typo, thanks! We have two different versions of that LEV50 module listed, one that’s 4s and one that’s 8s. I must have forgotten to edit that description when I copied the product template, my bad!

1 Like

Here’s the listing and Toshiba’s catalog for those Honda Fit-EV modules that I teased last week :slight_smile:

Let me know if y’all have any questions!

1 Like

Thanks!

The R521368YK is a Renasas MCU but no info on that other chip. Perhaps a custom BMS controller?

4 Likes

that makes alot more sense :clap:

2 Likes

Got a new shipment of 6 EV (or possibly PHEV) batteries yesterday!

Our supplier had basically zero info to share with us about them, and so I was sitting at my desk all day on Friday itching to pop one open and find out what’s inside :joy:

Come monday, hopefully I’ll get answers :crossed_fingers: the suspense is killing me.

Oh yeah, I also got a couple more battery modules listed:

As you will see in the product listings, finding spec sheets or any hard data about these modules/cells was pretty much impossible. If any of you know of any souces for info on the 64Ah Samsung SDI prismatic cells, then please let me know! :grin:

4 Likes

Unrelated but oh man I’d love a Fiat 500e. I kind of like the reputation of the 500 as a girly car plus it’s compact and I really like the look, if only there were slightly cheaper electrics

2 Likes

They are a seriously impressive platform, especially for debuting in 2013! That’s probably at least in part thanks to these very impressive Samsung prismatic cells :wink:

2 Likes

Is it possible to break down that pack? To individual 1s cells?

2 Likes

As with all things, it depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it :joy:

The short answer is “no,” as the cells are spot welded in series with some very beefy bus bars. However if you are determined, you could cut the bus bars with a dremel or something to break it down to single cells.

That said, I dont know how well these cells would perform outside of their metal corset haha. I am coming to learn that a lot of prismatic cells are designed to be held in pressure for best performance. Some cells I have been researching even have a manufacturer spec for how much clamping pressure the cells should be held in.

Hope that answers your question Artem :grin:

7 Likes

Yeah thank you! Seems like a lot of work :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Here’s something that might interest yall.

I’m trying to research specs on these BMW battery modules. I’m fairly certain they are out of a BMW X5 xDrive4#e PHEV, though I’m not certain if they are the first generation xDrive40e (which had a 9.2kWh pack) or the second generation xDrive45e (which had a 24kWh pack). The 40e was from model year 2016 to 2018, the 45e was model year 2019 and on. These modules are date-stamped 2018/07/20, which seems late in the year for a 2018 model year, but right on time for a 2019 model year…

Either way, these modules are 16s1p prismatic cells, with a full balance wiring harness and 3 temp sensors. Some All of the units also have that BMS, which clips onto the top or side of the battery case. Here’s the info on the BMS:

Lemme take that conformal coating off for you.

https://www.ti.com/product/BQ76PL455A-Q1

Apparently this is a passive-balancing chip, which makes sense since these batteries would be charged through the main pack terminals. I dont know what the smaller 12 pin header on the BMS is, I assume it’s data output to the car’s ECU.

From what I can tell, these would be SUPER easy to use for PEV’s. If these are the older xDrive40e modules, and if my math is correct, then they are 1.5kWh per module, or roughly 26.5Ah. If they are the newer xDrive45e, then they are probably a lot more. More research is required. If anyone has any leads they can share with me, I would appreciate it!

-Benjamin

9 Likes

Scratch that, ALL of the units have a BMS. These would make an excellent eBike battery, or possibly an eMTB. @Fosterqc you can finally upgrade your eMTB’s STOBA monstrosity :wink:

4 Likes

So that’s why I can’t buy any ‘455’s. :slightly_smiling_face:
It’s so nice to see a BMS that is actually laid out to do its job well.

3 Likes

dang so I should stop pretending that I am waiting for the Spintend 16S BMS?>

So some of these 16s BMW modules have a BMS with a black housing, and some have a BMS with a white housing. I was curious so I popped them open to compare, and the BMS in the white housing is quite different.

I cant even begin to guess what these differences might mean, but it’s interesting anyway. Anyone have any ideas?

4 Likes

The big difference I see is that the white module has a big chunk of it electrically isolated from the rest of the circuitry. You can see the big gap in the circuit board copper and the two chips that bridge the gap that provide a (safe) way to get signals and even power across the gap.

The black module might be the “lowest” one, from chassis ground up to the highest cell voltage in that module. The white modules might be the higher modules in the battery stack. Since their voltages are all a lot higher than the voltages in the black modules you need to isolate those high voltages and convert them down to lower voltages before putting them on a comms bus they probably share with the black modules.

6 Likes

Big empty strips on PCBs are a good sign of deliberate safety isolation. Having a couple of components bridge that means those would be for isolating any transfer that needs to go across.

Main types are

1. Optical isolation (the packaging has no electrical connection between the two sides, it just functions as a light tunnel so it blinks an LED on one side and has an optical detector on the other

2. Magnetic isolation - if you’re not familiar with how a transformer works, it basically means running pulses of electricity through a coil so it generates a magnetic field, and then holding another coil physically nearby. Secondary coil sits in that magnetic field so it has a voltage induced on it that’s proportional to the input, but with no electrical connection (usually scaled down so you can use it for converting a high voltage signal down to a low voltage logic signal)

The extra circuitry on the white one is very likely something that needs to interface with external systems, so it needs to be safely isolated from battery voltage. My money is that one maybe being a “master” module that coordinates others? It could function to communicate with the rest of the drive circuitry for safety checks, or could just be for firmware updates or maintenance diagnostics - stuff that doesn’t happen all the time. If there’s a nice even ratio of 3 black for every 1 white module that would make sense

6 Likes