Build Thread - Falcon 40 with Avio MKII

So, I’ve been building boards for a few months now and this is the 4th one. This will be the first board that i’m posting a build thread on though!

I’m still waiting on some misc bits and pieces to arrive, so i’ll be posting an intermediary build with my dev box on it (pelican case strapped to the top deck, with a 12s4p Samsung 30q, integrated Flipsky Dual VESC 200a, Antispark, bms, charging port, and external quick disconnects for the phase wires and sensor wires) that I use for testing purposes, and then i’ll update the thread as I finish the build.

Deck: Landyachtz Falcon 40"
Enclosure: Eboosted Double Stack
Motors: 190kv open can 6374 from @haggyboard.timo
Gear Drive: Avio MKII @avX
Trucks: Kahuas with stock baseplates (I have riptide 50 Degree Caliber 2’s arriving tomorrow)
Bushings: Currently running Purple and Yellow Orangatang Nipples (I have 2 sets of every Venom and 2 sets of every Riptide bushing on order for experimentation)
Battery: 12s8p custom build with Samsung 40T 21700’s (IMRBattery)
Remote: VX2 Pro from @Anubis group buy (Hoyt Puck prior)
BMS: Bluetooth lithiumbatterypcb brand
VESC: Flipsky 200a Dual VESC
Antispark : Flipsky 280a that I am currently bench testing
(I might swap it out for an XT90 antispark loopkey)
Rims: Bergmeister’s
Tires: Temporarily Berg tires, but I have Psychotiller 6 Shooter’s on order
Lighting: 12v Tail and headlights on a 240w buck converter

With the Samsung 30q and Flipsky VESC 6.6 running firmware 3.65, I set a conservative initial top speed of 25mph and went for a couple mile cruise on some freshly paved back roads by my house.

I initially made a programming error and had the max amperage of the motors set way too low, and went to take off… only for it to roll away silently at about 2mph and slowly picked up speed to about 10mph. I pulled up onto a curb, and checked my programming and bumped the motors to 60a for the test ride.

Initial impression: The gear drives are extremely well made, and I did not appreciate just how small the components were until I held them in my hand! They are considerably quieter than my helical cut Trampa gears and they accelerate incredibly smoothly and surely. The board feel and overall experience is definitely a 10/10. I am going to boost the motor amperage and gather temperature data once my new pack is complete. Once i have the caliber 2 trucks and bushings, and the Six Shooter tires,I’ll do higher speed testing.

Special thanks to @agentdev for letting me bounce ideas off of him for the last 3 months, and for the endless stream of battery build photos and inspiration!

Photos to follow!

16 Likes

Tldr but I did see this.
Where’s the pictures of the board. Or the nipples
Both work

9 Likes

Glad you like them! :stuck_out_tongue:

4th board in a few months, damn, you’ve caught the DIY bug :smiley:

5 Likes

You know that I’m going to have to build an Evo now. :joy: I’ve been hungry for 12S8P since I was shopping for enclosures last year.

1 Like

Great choice of parts! Pics?

Also, toss the flipsky antispark ASAP when you find a replacement.

3 Likes

Matt does not fuck about! Sexy list there, and looking forward to the photos.

2 Likes

That one has been known to be flakey (although like all FS parts, has worked for me :crossed_fingers:) But the newer 200A “enchanced” anti-spark is p great. Comes w/ push to start and auto off if you’re into that sort of thing.

Loop key will be cheapest/simplest though, a worthy goal.

4 Likes

I see, if it works well then stick to it. But do monitor once in awhile i guess. I had a bad experience with their normal one last time.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen some pictures of firey poofs. It’s in a board that is opened for every charge, so it’s frequently inspected.

8 Likes

I prioritized working on battery assembly last night for four hours and cleaning up the deluge of cardboard boxes all over my work area over posting photos!
Here’s the first half of the battery pack. I still need to join the p groups, add bms wires, and finish bricking it before doing a kapton wrap and then heat shrink.

10 Likes

Looking clean already, also this is the first time i’ve seen someone arrange the cells in a way where the printing of the cell is arranged uniformly like so. This pleases me.

9 Likes

It is a visual aid that makes it very easy to see that the pack is oriented in the correct direction while assembling!

edit: Copying the contents of my phone to my computer so that I can go thru the build photos quickly.

3 Likes

This explains why you lick door handles precisely 7 times before entering a room.

(But yes, I like that, too.)

Anything to get rid of the green oxide that’s on that stainless steel knob.

3 Likes

Are you aware of psycotillers financial situation right now? Have you talked to him and know they’ll ship in a timely manner? (Assuming you’re not getting it off another forum member)

I sourced the exact tires from alibaba, not psychotiller himself. Assuming they are of good quality, i’ll likely order a lot more of them to have on hand. The 2-4week leadtime on getting shit from China sometimes really sucks. I like the flatter tire profile better than the haggyboard wheels. I understand that they have more drag, but they should also have considerably more grip!

1 Like

Nice work on those batteries! I can respect the desire to keep things uniform for both visual aid and that little bit of OCD in all of us.

4 Likes

Mostly finished with this board and have around 100 miles on it so far. Still need to install a better tail light than the shred lights series 2, and mount the buck converter to power the 60w headlight.

6 Likes