Budget Build Challenge!!

I think its preference to a extent.
I just find it more simple then spot welding a ton of cells.

Really if it gets you where you want to go. Its good in my book.

1 Like

Ya I honestly donā€™t have the time, motivation, balls, and skill to build packs.

3 Likes

Youā€™ll get more cycles on liion

3 Likes

This is why @Turt_Turt23

Cells will cost you less in the long run. If youā€™re nice to them, the really long run.

2 Likes

Wellcome aboard!
Based on your specs it seems like you havent ironed out all things that you really want. Before you spend money on something expensive (even 1000$ is a decent chunk of money amd you will have to spend much for quality parts), buy cheap used meepo or something similar and get a feel for what you really want.
For my first build I got cheap 300$ chinese dual belt kit with 800w motors, and used friends short 32ā€™ deck, it was my daily commuter for 3 months. After that I can, with 90% certainty, tell that I liked and want thin ~220mm trucks, dual belts with tons of torque, concave solid deck at arround 36ā€™ for urban commuting and large battery and feel confident on spending money on quality parts without being afraid that I will have to resell them later for smaller price because I dont like setup.
If you still want to build something on first go, start small. Used deck, single motor, 6s lipo batteries, just so you get the feel what youre going for, then collect some more money and do your dream build. Long range/small range, big/small motors whatever your heart disires.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome!

Thanks a ton everyone. Lots of great advice. I ride a Bustin Dualomo right now and really enjoy it but wish I had the ability to change wheelsā€¦

This build in the forum is super inspiring and checks a lot of boxes: First ever sorta-DIY - BKB Duo on a Sportster

The caveat being Iā€™d need to switch to boardnamics 220mm hangers (which they address in the thread).

If you are running pneumatics, you might have some trouble with 220ā€™s without modifying the deck.

Check this thread out, it may be able to help ya also!

3 Likes

Thanks man!!

1 Like

I pulled something similar off with used parts. Hereā€™s a price breakdown

Drivetrain (torqueboardā€™s AT) - $170
2x 6364 motors - $130
10s3p 30q - $200
Enclosure - $40
Remote - $40
Deck - $70
Esc - $125
Power sw - $50

Check out my build log

2 Likes

Esc, deck, power sw, enclosure and controller were all new btw

1 Like

This is awesome, thanks a lot man!!

10s3p 30Q will not give you much range on a mountain board please keep this in mind.

2 Likes

LoL FTFY

Donā€™t want folks thinking a street board with 8" tires will have range

1 Like

sorry, I was noob code switching

I love your approach on this build. IMHO you should go for:

$175 - 2X 6374 motors - new Flipsky battle-hardened or barely used, second-hand, TB or Maytech
$100 - Deck of your choosing
$230 - Dual M1 Drive + 220mm Hangers Kit
$230 - Xenith ESC
$450 - 12S4P Molicel P42A pack
$114 Hoyt St. Nylon Puck

Shit, I am already at $1299

K, scratch that sweet, sweet battery and go for something more reasonable

$300 - Ownboard 10S3P 30Q with enclosure
$24 - Ownboard metal ESC case

Back down to: $1,173
$27 bucks should get you Randal baseplates ā€¦ and oh shit you still need wheels!

The going rate for like-new but used TB 110s is around $80
You can save that $80 by downgrading the remote or the ESC
I would start off with a mini remote instead of the puck BC they are reliable and a bargain at around $35

Revised recommendation:

$175 - 2X 6374 motors - new Flipsky battle-hardened or barely used second hand TB or Maytech
$100 - Deck of your choosing
$230 - Dual M1 Drive + 220mm Hangers Kit
$230 - Xenith ESC
$300 - Ownboard 10S3P 30Q with enclosure
$24 - Ownboard metal ESC case
$35 - 2.4ghz mini remote
$27 - Randal baseplates
$80 - gently used TB 110s
$16 - Zealous steel bearings with built-in spacers

Total: $1,217

I think you are only missing some mounting hardware and you have a bunch of solid components that should last through battery, remote, deck and enclosure upgrades.

Alternate sticking with 10S recommendation:

If you are OK with 10S and donā€™t think you want to go 12S down the road you can save some $ and gain some range with a MakerX ESC and a 10S4P battery. Ownboard has an AT battery with a built-in flexible enclosure that goes for $369. Pair that with a MakerX GoFoc Dv4 for $120 and you can get 12AH-14AH of range, depending on cell choice, for a total cost of:

$1,176

Boy, that sure was fun spending somebody elseā€™s imaginary loot! 2021 is a great time to be putting together a board in this price range. Good luck on your build!

7 Likes

Dude!!

Youā€™re a legend. Taking notes hard, and also pretty curious how you would have finished that first build!!

If we can build something legendary for just a couple hundred more. Iā€™m all ears. I know the battery is the big investment but also the heart of the board in so many ways!

2 Likes

I could build you a nice battery on a budget if you would like, even if it means Iā€™m only making a few bucks. Iā€™m just trying to help someone get a great start into DIY esk8 and get a few more battery builds under my belt.

I could probably squeeze a 10s3p P42A into a $300 budget, which is a nice boost over the 30Q.

Maybe even a 12s4p P42A into a $420 battery budget.

4 Likes

THIS :point_up:

2 Likes

How do I calculate range with my 6 inch pneumatics. Prolly like 8 miles with a 10s3p 30q kek

How much do you weigh? IDK maybe 25 - 30Wh/km, just guessing