Broken sensor wires, do I need them?

Hello,
I just received my new ESC (the @Esk8supply one) and when I took off the sensor plugs from the old ESC, some wires just broke. :triumph:
I went to my local electronic shop but he told me there’s no way he can find those.
I can order them but I’ve been waiting for weeks now.
So the question is: Do I need the sensors to run my Esk8?

Cheers,
D.

1 Like

Do you like to ride smoothly, stand in place on an incline? Do you get disgusted by starting to ride with a kick push? Then sensors are for you.

Else, fuck sensors.

5 Likes

Ok, so, not a smooth ride, but not dangerous either for me or the machine?

1 Like

In fact, even less dangerous, because sensors will not have a chance to fail. :sweat_smile:

Just a bit more technicalities to ride. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mmmh ok, thanks

2 Likes

If you have hubs you want sensors. if you have a gearing ratio >2 its kinda meh.

5 Likes

Direct drive…

1 Like

Yeah… Sensors would be good. I’m sure your torque will be fine once over 10mph

1 Like

I don’t run sensors on any of my boards. Some people like em, some people don’t, some people are indifferent

3 Likes

With direct Drive too?

Yep. Like they said, initial torque is probably reduced, but it doesn’t bother me

2 Likes

Ok good!
Thanks guys

Does any body knwo where to find those cables in EU?

Hfi on non sensor motors is smoother than using sensor motors

these should be the exact same thing. let me see if i can find one local to the EU

just to be sure. what ESC are you running?

1 Like

your best bet is to probably make a post in the parts wanted section asking if someone in the EU has any on hand. that will most likely be the cheapest route.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the same at a all, mine is big female plug and tiny male plug, yours is the opposite :wink:
I’ll post in the wanted part thanks

@b264 has a TON of experience running sensorless set ups AND recently has been using High Frequency Injection (HFI)

3 Likes

You don’t need sensor wires. Sensors are only needed at exactly 0.0km/h so the controller knows the rotor position, to know which winding to fire up first, basically.

The worst-case scenario with no sensors is that you can “hip-flick” or kick push just to get rolling (even if super, super slowly) and then the motors work fine. The best-case scenario using finely-tuned HFI is not any different than using sensors.

That being said, tuning HFI has been something that doesn’t seem super straightforward and some motors just don’t seem to like it very much. I’ve been struggling with it sometimes, and other times it just works super-awesome. We’re still in the process of learning, as HFI is relatively new.

5 Likes

Thanks
My esc only supports vesc tool 1.06 so I don’t think HFI is an option

Anyway I’m in the process of painfully rewiring those tiny little plugs, hopefully it’s gonna work!