Boundmotor Slime Wheels

Boundmotor Slimewheel. 130x50

I cant seem to find much on these around the place, i got a set a few months ago, took them for a test ride or two and they’ve sat on the shelf till now… i have been using them for a couple of days and am familiar enough with them to log a few impressions.

They are quite firm, they give a fairly stiff ride and provide a lot of feedack, for me they are too hard and i cant seem to get the trust to throw them into corners like i can with my other airless wheels, they are a bit bouncy for me on the paths i ride which tend to have a lot of debris and this tends to make me concerned about breaking traction. Smooth surfaces like a shopping centre car parks are much different and can throw them around a lot more with more trust… still with that concern about breaking traction tho.

Im using mine with the stock pulley and sakura hubs, they do get the power down very well and the pulley (60t) has plenty of punch, i really like the fact They’ve made the hubs for 28mm bearings, very handy and appreciated.

They wear very well, i can see these lasting a LONG time, theres no chunking. No bits of glass or sticks embedded in them or any severe wear on any part of them. They dont seem to heat up like my other airless wheels. But to be fair, my others are rubber not thane.

They have a 50mm contact patch which is a bit small IMO but that could be just me, i also find the profile odd with the board side face of the wheel is a sharp 90 degree angle and the outer face has a nice rounded profile, i dont understand at all why this would be done.

The free roll is great on them, very street deck like so the rolling resistance feels quite low, probably due to the hard formula I’d say. Theyre also pretty battery friendly, a comparison ride with my normal wheels is vastly different. The trip generally uses about %40 with my other wheels i mostly use and %25 on the slimes. Though a contributing factor to that is the reduced trust level, i just dont use them as hard.

They are a decent offering, they do what they’re advertised as doing and they’re robust. The only thing which doesnt suit my situation is the firmness of them, ymmv depending on what you like/ride

3 Likes

Just out of interest, whats the point of this wheel in your opinion? Where does it sit vs what’s already out there? Weight?

I knew that was going to be asked…

Momentum hollow wheel: (with full inserts)

Flipsky:

Eovan:

Prototypes:

I think their biggest advantage would be range though it’d be good to see different pulley options on the sakura hub, the phantom hubs now have different pulley sizes, 55t, 66t amd 72t but these wont fit some trucks

The only other product out there like this is the trampa ones, Gummies iirc… from what i read they were plagued with balance issues at speed. I have no first-hand experience with them tho but can say that ive not had those issues with the slime-wheel on their sakura hub.

The point of them is like any other airless wheel, no punctures to worry about, theyre a thane compound and many people like thane over pnumatic, ive ended up in that camp simply from the vast amount of punctures i had with pnumatic wheels on that deck. (150x50) so that peace of mind is nice.

3 Likes