Boss level custom spot welder

Modded the boss welder today with thermal adhesive pads and old gpu heat sinks, really helps with overheating but have to say I’m still struggling with nickel > copper on 4s, even 0.1mm copper, I feel it should tear the nickel when peeled, so far not

Recharging lipos to full strength, review suggested settings and try again

One side ‘sticks’ more than the other, no clue if this is normal.

I replaced the tips and am making good solid contact

1 Like

Man down. Pain. Hospital. I can’t remember anything

4 Likes

Are you ok mate?

3 Likes

No. I am beaten. I fell somehow. I don’t remember anything. My head got a good shot.
I was wearing full body armor. No broken bones. Doctor sent me home with meds. I will be in pain for two weeks. I had a lot of test in mind with the boss welder. Seems I have lost the gopro 7. Tests will have to wait. Battery builds too.

4 Likes

Mate I’m glad it was a fall, was worried it was the health issues, I hope a helmet was on your head

Stay safe and healthy & wishing you a speedy recovery, Alan

2 Likes

Ye. Full face helmet, lazyrolling and motorcycle pants. I got the hands wounded, a big hit in the back and another in the head. Doc said I’ll be ok I two weeks. I hope so. Right now I can’t pee without help.
If only I had my damn cam I’d know what the hell happened. Well… no battery build for a while

2 Likes

Sorry to hear, this sucks but sounds like proper gear stopped you from being very seriously injured, glad you’re able to tell the tale

Sometimes scumbags take stuff that comes off road traffic accidents, may have been wiped out by a car or something that just left the scene

Any way to check for cctv where you wee found? Maybe just explain to a shop owner or building supervisor that it is a mystery

I went back home by myself but I don’t know how. I can’t remember anything from lunch till night. I remember the chicken, the ice cream, the coffee and nothing else. All of a sudden I was burning in pain on a bed. My bro said I phoned from home, my trampa was there. And i was all dirt and blood, helmet still on. Babbling without sense.
I ride at 5-10 kmh at the city but way faster on dirt offroad. Since I was with the trampa and full of dirt I think I know where I rode. There’s few people or nobody there. I wish I knew how the hell I fell that badly yet I managed to go home.

3 Likes

Crazy. Hope ur head is good. With the Boss and the multiplier and ms variables do u just fiddle with those and keep to ur main big numbers as decided by thickness, such as 7 for .2mm nickel?

1 Like

I use the multiplier only for copper. As a matter of fact the minispotA does not have it as it is not really required for nickel.
7 X 0.2 is a perfect size. For esk8 0.15 is sufficient but I like using more than I need to run cool the packs. I am more fond of wide tabs lately. I said the magic numbers a few times at the other forum.
1.4ms for 0.1mm nickel
4ms for 0.15mm nickel
7ms for 0.20mm nickel
4ms for 0.05mm copper
8ms for 0.1mm copper on 4s lipo X2
The ms numbers can vary a little depending on lipo setup. I test first and engage cells later but once my numbers are decided I make very few changes. For 0.1 copper for example it is very important to have the lipo fully charged so I rise to 9ms after a few welds and refuel several times during the building process. Nickel is way easier to work with so no changes needed.

2 Likes

Copy&paste from endless-sphere thread:

Today i made another sandwich method test with the custom boss spot welder.
I am very happy with the results. Copper on copper sucks. I have never managed to make a decent weld. They do not stick. Using the sandwich method i made two strips of copper with nickel inside stick and two strips of nickel with copper inside stick too.
Even though i prefer wide tabs this could be useful. Making it possible made my day.

left= double sandwich-------------------middle single sandwich----right=copper on copper

copper on copper=very weak welds. NOT viable

single sandwich= copper on copper with some nickel inside. Successful

double sandwich=copper+nickel+copper+nickel. It failed yet seems two nickel strips with some copper inside is viable

These tests could be useful. The sandwich method can have some applications after all with this machine.

This is the video:

2 Likes

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89076&hilit=Nickel+snips

Ur intro videos there are great.

Do the wires jump from magnetic field produced?

ive been going .2mm nickel, then .05mm copper, then the steel can and that works pretty consistently.

Very high amperage for a very short time makes a battering ram effect

2 Likes

jumping from movement of electrons or a tiny medieval army?! I guessed magnetic field and that would push them away from each other I think

When you open a high current tap and you close it all of a sudden you can hear a noise if the pipe is metallic. If it’s made of rubber you can see it jump. The water stops the flow and goes back quickly. Plumbers here call it the battering ram effect. I am no electronics engineer so I do not know the exact name of that phenomenon. I guess positive and negative travel fast to the short, when positive reaches negative the current flow has a similar effect as water and jumps.
I am open to more technical theories.

2 Likes

Good morning. For those who have difficulties with the pen maintenance and building new ones you will be glad to know that the sunkko is discounted now. That model has been vouched by the great @thisguyhere

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cmVje588

Just solder an xt90 and ready to go.
The tips are extremely expensive but I think you should be able to make your own with this:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/9lO9hFa

2 Likes

I ordered one just out of curiosity and arrived today. Well…I don’t like it. It’s way easier to maintain than custom pens. Just replace tips and go. That’s cool but the tips were 3mm away from each other. That’s too much. I had to rise the flux times a lot to make decent welds. Then I just used some kapton to insulate the tips and another layer to reduce the gap. Now I get the same quality (tested on nickel only) than my custom pens.
Verdict:
If you don’t want to build your own pens and you prefer a tool easy to maintain this pen is a very good choice. I highly recommend to reduce gap between copper points.

Custom pens are way cheaper. So if you have the patience to build them it’s a better choice imho.

2 Likes

Will this or this work for the boss spot welder? Just change the connector to an XT90?

Should work. I can’t see why not.

Alternative:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c6ESVFOC

2 Likes

I used this to make dozens of batteries, but the electrodes have a bad way of securing and if your not very careful they break easily and get stuck inside

I didn’t try the pen above but i recommend it
But overall in my opinion the best welding pen is the one from kWeld, with a printed holder they are great, electrodes can be bought locally and last 2 months of daily welding for at least 3 hours