Boomer gets hands on Arduino!

Pretty sure it is too. What I’m saying is that it’s very obfuscated code because it uses some custom visual IDE to generate the code. I can’t really dig in without an effort that would be larger than me simply rewriting what you are trying to do.

Whoever coded that for you used 100 lines to do what 3-4 can. That’s the extent of obfuscation. Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Darling, I’ve had enough people in my head to know that’s not true. I’m actually this self aware and still an asshole. :kissing_heart:

8 Likes

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but there you go. Its all you then?

Good to know.

4 Likes

Raw and unfiltered baby.

4 Likes

So on this note @urga . What are you trying to accomplish?

The input is the button. What would you like the output to be?

Button press = spin at X throttle for Y seconds?

1 Like

Yes it does. He is new to using Arduinos et al, and stated as such. That said, it works on his board but doesn’t when there’s a monkey in the mix. I’m just an old guy trying to have a slice of fun pie, on a homemade e-bike

3 Likes

If the same hardware works on his setup, that would leave me to believe your input might not be setup correctly on the VESC side of things.

Could you read your PWM/PPM app.settings in vesc tool and post a screenshot of those settings? You said your didn’t see input coming in through the setup wizard, correct?

Here’s how it works…1.5 sec press gives 50% throttle until short press kills power,or 3 sec press goes to 100% throttle. Any short press kills power. Does that make any sense with the code?

Urga is furiously working on this request…

1 Like

It does… It sounds a bit terrifying in practice, depending on what kind of motor/output this is on.

Can I ask why you’re going with a single button input as opposed to an analog throttle input for better control?

1 Like

Honestly it works great. There’s not much power produced with the friction drive(about 250W max),so it never overwhelms the bike,just gives a little help on the hills. The button is small and mounted on the bars so easily reached if you are cutting power. If I were more technical I would be trying to factor in regen and maybe using PAS,but this works OK for me for mow…well it did.

3 Likes

1 Like

OK,the nurses are putting me to bed now(they’re stealing my clothes,you know) so I’ll check back in tomorrow to see if anyone’s clocked where i’ve went wrong.
Really appreciated the help folks. You kids are OK :+1:

5 Likes

All of that looks in order. Make sure you click the refresh circle. You’ll need to hit the buttons on your controller to have it trigger the full throttle command, but you should see input change on the underlined signal bar. Select throttle type and hit apply. You can also manually enable RT/RT app data using the buttons on the right hand side to bring it into the RT screen and menu settings.

If you are seeing zero input change, you’ll want to verify your electrical wiring connections. I’ll look at your photos again as well.

Edit: I mean, as far as i can tell it looks about correct? You don’t appear to be missing any core concepts here, its really a matter of getting the PWM output from your custom arduino controller to be recognized by your ESC. If you know it works because you’ve tested it on another board, then that leaves your ESC, the wiring to that ESC, and your ESC input settings as the main culprits. You should see those mS values in the PWM setup screen update when the button activates the throttle though, in theory.

2 Likes

AD,I’ve already programmed(mapped) a few before,so I know what it should be doing and how to mapped them correctly and then write it to the vesc. It’s just showing nothing.

1 Like

Is the gentleman that programmed the arduino for you & had it working on his board able to assist?

Beyond that, I would check physical wire continuity with a multimeter. My next steps would be scoping the pwm output to make sure it looks correct. There are a lot of unknowns here as it’s not something I can physically look at, but it sounds like you understand how input setup is supposed to work and are simply not getting a PWM input on the ESC.

2 Likes

Its not really clear where your ppm cables are going

2 Likes

2 Likes

Temporary connection to the Arduino. Power light is on and when I connect the two wires(imaginary button) for 1.5 or 3 secs the Tx lights up as it should. So it’s transmitting(?) Tested continuity on the wires back to the Foc box and they seem OK? Think I’ll renew all the wiring just in case there’s an intermittent problem that’s causing the Vesc not to read the Arduino output…to be continued

1 Like