Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

what makes you think so? I’m not seeing it yet.

Are they anywhere near wide enough for pullies and belts? also you would need some belt adapter to the gd hub

3 Likes

Less than 20 posts above yours :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

You guys are running these already, i still don’t have a tracking number… cool…

Can someone post a video with these running under load? Really curious about the sound compared to belt

2 Likes

I have found the wiggle in the truck adapter to be .30 so insert 2 pieces of .15 nickel strip for and aft and it will be O so tight. After doing this there will be no rotation of the gear drive upon completion.

8 Likes

The wiggle in the adapter will have no effect in operation. Once fully installed, rotating the gearbox by hand is extremely difficult because the friction alone keeps the angle.

1 Like

Wanted to see a complete setup.

Doyou think it be posible to run this with 6374 motors reversed mounted ?

Depends on what trucks you’re using.

On 220mm, and as per @Bigdaddyhawk’s picture

That would lead me to believe not possible. Which is kind of depressing to me as now the build will have to be forward mount. I always reverse mount as I love the aggressive look of motors sticking out.

4 Likes

Get the 270’s if ya want big motor on reverse. Also cant confirm because I only have the 220s

2 Likes

The problem with the BN270 is that they have more meat on the hanger (the bump towards the middle).

I was hoping to reverse mount as well but not sure it’s currently feasible.
Not sure if removing the extra material will affect the structural rigidity of the hanger.

2 Likes

Looks like a no go for me. You can “make it happen” but dont be crying if they bend or brake.

1 Like

I did go for the 270 kit. But didn’t realise that reverse mounting might not be an option… Hope I can make it fit with a Trampa Carver deck…

I can’t believe this drive train cannot be used with big motors mounted backward. This is a huge deal-breaker for a lot of builds. Why don’t other gear drives have this issue?

It’s amazing how close and tucked away these motors are when mounted forward! Great design, Kevin :100:

14 Likes

Because the big gear is limited in size, it has to be significantly smaller than a thane wheel. This reduces the c-c distance of the gears a lot. A solution is running very low kv motors and increasing the pinion. Or you know go lower voltage like Moe. You cannot mount the 3d servisas thane drive reverse either.

1 Like

I guess belt drives aren’t dead yet!

4 Likes

No, thats one of the advantages of running belts. Tkp is another story, since the kingpin is not in the way. Thats why i can reverse mount my drives on the evolve trucks.

1 Like

A 3 gear gear drive would be longer and better for going to the rear. Even if the main gear was bigger it would buy you just alittle more distance so the truck wouldn’t have to be trimmed

1 Like

Avio MK2 gear drives also cannot be reverse mounted. At least, not with 6374 motors. And those are not micro gear drives like these are.

One of the strengths of gear drives are how compact they are, but that also becomes a weakness if your goal is reverse mounting. Personally, i favor forward mounting on every build that works for. Unfortunately, a lot of my favorite deck are drop down, drop through, or both.

Brent could you detail what modifications you made to the truck to make 6355 motors work? If you take off the kingpin nut and lean the truck fully over, what hits first, the motors against the kingpin or the hanger against the deck? Thanks!

2 Likes