Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

That collar should stick out of the case, does it not?

No. Itā€™s between the mounting plate and the case.

Where did you get that pinion gear?

Boardnamics

Weird. Wonder if he changed suppliers or something. Personally, I would take that pinion gear to the belt sander and take off a few mm of the collar side (not the gear-tooth side). If you do something along those lines, make sure you keep the gear cool while working (dip it in water every few seconds or something) so you dont mess up the temper on the gear teeth.

1 Like

No access to belt sander. Thinking maybe dremmel, but that could take hours.

Best if you know someone who has a mill or lathe, it can remove like 2mm fairly easily

1 Like

Do ppl use spacers / washers between the motor and gear or just leave it floating loctiteā€™d in?

2 Likes

Problem is that the shoulder of the gear cannot fit inside the pocket in the motor plate as intended. Flipping the gear causes it to rub the case as itā€™s too tall.

Solution is to either shorten the gear shoulder 2mm or widen the slot on the motor plate by 1mm. The latter is easier, itā€™s soft aluminum.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve extended the slot and have the pinion in one of the mounts. Just need to round it out a bit more so I can set the backlash properly. Thanks for the help everyone. Now it makes sense why people where mentioning the motor axle

:wave::love_you_gesture:
Short question: has anyone tried to use MEEPO CYCLONE 165S FUTURE TUBELESS WHEEL with bn at gears
@Boardnamics: kevin, do you know, would the rim patern fit to the plastic adapter on the gear drive
@olsyke mabe weā€˜ve to switch one wheel for science if thereā€˜s no one who tried it

1 Like

I have done it, I designed an adapter for it. However, the design is for a specific mounting plate version that BN created. Which one do you have?

Idk, ordered last year may,its a plastic one (trampa)

Mm okay plastic one will require a few design mods since I interface with the slots in it.

Ok, what do you mean with ā€ždesign modsā€œ
Is it just drilling some holes or is it more than that?

Nah I gotta mod the model and remove the slot interface. Iā€™ll see what I can do, you got parts on the way?

1 Like

Nah, just having the gears and considering to buy the cyclones, just wanted to ask before i buy
Thx alot for the info

How long are people finding their gears lasting? I know thereā€™s some factors like how hard the riding, how much itā€™s re-greesed, if backlash is set properly, etc.

Side note: Iā€™m loving gears so much, Iā€™m not sure if I can switch back.

1 Like

For the 220mm axle the manual says to use an 8mm spacer before inserting the wheel. Iā€™ve had to use a 6mm as otherwise there is no thread left for the axle nut. Is this normal? Thx

I am pretty sure thatā€™s because you have bearings with integrated spacer and integrated speed rings. Your bearings take up 2mm more space on the axle than standard 608

2 Likes