Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

@Boardnamics & @poastoast

Thanks for the update Kevin! Also, I appreciate the tip about how to get the grease.

1 Like

mby not many axles

1 Like

Steel do be heavy doe

2 Likes

yes please - I’ll add them to my pending order

I asked this on esk8 subreddit and was directed here

I recently overhauled my drive train with dual gear drives, hangars and adj baseplates from boardnamics. I have probably 200 miles on the gears now, and the original loud gear noise is mostly gone at lower speeds but something else is happening at high speeds. When I hit about 30 mph the board gets significantly louder and higher pitched, as if there is some resonance. It almost hurts my ears in the mid 30s and it honestly sounds like it might explode. it doesn’t happen gradually as rpm increases, it seems to suddenly get very loud and very high pitched. My brother said it was screaming as I passed him at ~35 mph

If this is normal for all gear drives, so be it, but if mine are acting up and there is some way to quiet them down at above 5000 motor rpm I would appreciate tips.

more details, dual 6384 fs battle hardened motors

12s3p p42a battery

xenith vesc set to 76 amps max using 23.46 fw

120mm (115) cloudwheels

1 Like

do you have straight cut gear drives? they happen to do that on the BNs

you coul soften it by adding grease

helicals also do it, but not as loud

1 Like

no I have helical cut gears from the most recent drop, and I have red grease on them

you could add more grease, it’s just red n tacky grease

or adjust your backlash

how do you have that set? any pics/videos?

I added a lot of grease when i assembled it, given that there has been next to no leakage, there is still a ton of grease in there. There is a good click when i turn the wheels. I think the backlash is fine

the grease tends to go into spots where it’s never touched again, maybe try to add more

(btw it’s completely fine that they hit that resonance, likely due to teeth size + gearing ratio)

3 Likes

maybe ill open it up tomorrow

4 Likes

that backlash looks too loose

5 Likes

im sure the resonance is fine, its just annoying. I like going fast, but if the board is screaming, it makes it less fun

1 Like

Pls record video we don’t have enough of these drives

3 Likes

ill ride tomorrow and take a video at speed

1 Like

i swear i’m luke thenonly one with a sound recording

22 Likes

Holy crap bro you aren’t messing around

Edit: and on urethane? Madman

2 Likes

I think you maybe need more grease

4 Likes

I think we got the same thing. Mine make a ear piercing screeching noise that will hurt your ears immediately. I got 400+ miles already and it was doing it with helical and straight cuts. After hundreds of miles of putting more grease or running with minimal grease or adjusting backlash it will never go away. I have a feeling that metal shavings got into the motor and thats what’s causing it but with opening the motor and cleaning everything Its still there. Just my best guess but not sure. We are both running flipsky motors :man_shrugging:

Do you have a video?

1 Like