Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

I have both, the helicals do not have that rattle sound and they are smoother sounding and feeling for sure, they also do not make the loud sound, the gears are drop in ready. Everything is exactly the same set for backlash.

1 Like

@gordo @realistic69 @Paul77

hey guys.
I appreciate the feedback.
I ordered the Helical Pinions and will be using them when I slap this thing back together.

definitely sounds like it will do away with some of that noise that was bothering me.

1 Like

To make a virtually silent gear drive would require almost a complete redesign. The helical implementation was an attempt to lower the sound. They’re still pretty loud for several reasons:

The teeth are not ground. They’re commercially hobbed. Not that smooth. This is why the sound decreases after some use. They must break in.

The gearbox is not very rigid. Not made to nearly the precision of your average car transmission w/ ground gears and steel shafts.

There are a ton of size/cost limitations that make producing an ESK8 silent steel gear drive difficult. Increasing the helix angle would certainly cut noise but our motors aren’t designed for this. The best approach for our application is a POM wheel gear. The M1 drive wasn’t designed to be super quiet anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

Moving forward, I think I will do 2.20 ratio straight cut only and 2.78 helical only.

21 Likes

God I love how honest and straight to the point you are. Other brands wouldn’t have admitted this

Or this if they were selling only steel gears

I appreciate you giving my bullshit sensors a break for once

19 Likes

1 Like

Are you getting the 2.78 helical ratio?

1 Like

Yeppers.
I like tall gearing.
The 2.78 straight was ok for me with the 6374 190kvs.
But really geared for more speed than I usually aim for.

So keeping the same ratio.

But also putting on TB 170kv 6380s.
Which I hope will be a noticeable bump in torque.

1 Like

@b264 will be along shortly to address this. I might have an idea what he’ll say.

9 Likes

POM gears are excellent in nearly all cases. The only weakness they have is shock loads. It seems people break them when there is an unexpected surge of force such as jumping on an eMTB and landing, causing a huge change in speed. POM gears are much more forgiving to misalignments and do serve as a “weakest link” before something more expensive breaks.

17 Likes

Would you be willing to manufacture a POM wheel gear option for those who like to skate through libraries and golf tournaments?

16 Likes

If you do a top speed test with the 190kvs let me know what you top out at, I can only get 30mph.

1 Like

Did you happen to drop your “duty cycle limit start” when you switched gears? If feel I have a little more on the top end if I have that at 88-90 vs 85.

4 Likes

I wonder how much of a reduction in noise there would be if a POM gear was used.

It’s not as easy as changing the material to POM.

The gear size would have to increase greatly. Id have to go mod 1.5 and around 12mm wide. Much quieter but I can’t fit those gears in this gear drive. Every part would have to change.

9 Likes

ahem

not allll of them. Same M4 screws for one!

TB110 has .5in ground clearance case you is wondering

2 Likes

Sure, no problem.

POM gears are great for keeping the replacement costs down.

Not a Boardnamics gear:

But if you’d prefer to just avoid replacement and front-load the costs, then I beg to differ. :crazy_face:

1 Like

So what you’re saying is to make Boardnamics POM gears, then charge $50 for replacements? Sounds lucrative, thanks B!

10 Likes

Better yet, you can just charge $10 less than a whole brand new gear drive, and it’s still better just to replace the plastic gear than change the whole thing, which is $10 more expensive and more labor.

Or just keep being the Boardnamics we know and love :heart:

:rofl:

3 Likes

giphy (1)

11 Likes

The only time I have had POM gears fail me is when I locked up motors at 30mph due to spintend spontaneously combusting or when I slammed into the side of a curb at 45mph. The rest of the time they have been great.

8 Likes