Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

I haven’t broken but I’ve shredded steel gears…

3 Likes

yes you shred hard but we’re looking for someone who can break it down.

4 Likes

There absolutely is a difference between motors as soon as the smaller option starts saturating or even just running hotter in general

With small motors you could maybe reverse mount the gear drives. Like flipsky 6355 or smth.

1 Like

There is no difference until it is saturated or overheated, that was my point. It’s a misconception that bigger motor = more power, it’s more complicated than that.

5 Likes

How is the brake improvement when upping to bigger motors?
It makes sense that running at the same power output between motors would have similar performance, but I’ve only ever had 6354s after all.

high or low speed brake? u can up (go further into negative) the value of batt regen or motor regen to get stronger brakes

1 Like

It really lacked in both, I messed around with the values a lot, varying each and testing them. I kept my motor max brake at 70 and batt max regen at 40 and it never really made much of a difference.
It never would reach those numbers while braking though

that would be weird, i have motor -40, and my board can throw me off if i full brake at slightly fast walking speed. got some screenshot?

2 Likes

M1-AT Apex Adapters

23 Likes

All I have is the video I posted above (Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News - #2060 by slizer18), that’s my board nearing full brake. You can sorta gauge it’s strength from those screaming gears - that board wouldn’t dare throw me off, even at full brake. I really can’t provide anything else because I’ve sold most all of my parts now :(.
It’s probably because I have a flipsky vesc, and flipsky parts are a curse. I’ve got a whole new build underway so I’ll begin to test then.

1 Like

As long as the motors are running cold ish. The power is the same no matter the motor size. The KV, gearing and wheel size matters however. (What top speed it is geared for)

What matters is the settings in the esc. If you want stronger brakes change the battery and motor max. -20 battery min and -50motor min on each side is what I run. The battery min has a larger effect on the breaks really, loads of people are running -10 and -70 and on each side and complain about the strength.

4 Likes

I’ve found the main advantage to large motors to be the stronger braking ability. Power already exceeds my needs with even single 6355, but brakes are terrible, for an example.

6 Likes

Even if you crank up the settings?

Maybe I was doing it wrong, who knows.

Try to crank up the battery min. To 30-40 and motor at 80-100.
You normally pull more amps when accelerating than braking and the settings are also generally higher.

Braking also tends to be way more likely to start throwing overcurrent errors and other shenanigans, and bigger motors seem to ameliorate that, at least in my experience.

4 Likes

When do you estimate you will have these in stock Kevin? I assume they are not coming with your current order that is imminent.

1 Like

They will be there around the same time. They are on their way to me via express

7 Likes

No one has reported breaking any teeth with the steel gears but will the ones in the M1 AT get shaved down over time? Does this change because it is helical? How long do you think they’d last before needing replacement? I know there are different levels of aluminum like 6061 and 7155 but I don’t know about steel and how durable this will be.

Also do I need to buy grease for the M1 AT and will that help reduce the wear and noise?

Or would they last as long as the rest of the board to where motors and battery would probably die before needing to replace the gears?

1 Like