Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

I want one of these too, pocketā€™s are gonna hurt for it but the standard mounts are not playing nice with 72T wheel pulleys and there is no adjustment

1 Like

Who said I wouldnā€™t make them? What if I told you I have the design already loaded up and ready to go? :eyes:

Can offer that later in the year, or sooner if its highly desired.

5 Likes

Put my name on one of the earlier sets!

3 Likes

@Boardnamics does the new Matrix II mount clamp use the same hangar pattern as your first mounts or are you using the exact file that MBS released to us to use for mounts?

1 Like

The first profile, I believe. Did not know there was an official releaseā€¦
Either way they work, the clamps are absolutely huge, 13mm thick. They grip to just about anything remote close.

1 Like

But they have gaps :sob:

(At least I think they do, I remember being really confused where they went because it never clicked into place when I rotated the halves around, the 2 part Caliber and HeXL halves always would click as you rotated them)

2 Likes

I kept on wanting to tag you about that post but I forgot I guess.

1 Like

We need Brian to test the shit out of these drives, the long foretold steel on steel gear drives are finally here.

8 Likes

@Boardnamics have you been testing these for a while? Curious if grease is enough to avoid wear

2 Likes

Dink!

3 Likes

I have tested a prototype version for quite some miles. The final version has a few differences.

The hardening process is different. The first gears had a heat treatment where the gears are supposed to be ground afterwards to remove the distortion. These gears use a process that doesnā€™t cause distortion.

The case for the bearing has a lip to prevent it from ever backing out, so it does not rely on press-fit forces alone to stay in place.

I used white lithium grease and there was very little visible wear. Helps the gears are hardened significantly.

5 Likes

Wouldnā€™t oil be better for steel on steel? Or is the one ring not enough to keep it in?

1 Like

This maybe a stupid question, but are you able to inward mount these GDā€™s?

2 Likes

Oil is just not a good idea. Every mating surface would need a gasket material. That means even where the motor attaches, where the mounting adapter goes, etc. Super hard to seal watertight yet make it actually feasible for a DIY setting.

4 Likes

Based on the radial hole pattern yes but you need clearance

1 Like

Yes they are typically inward mounted. They can be reversed, but you need a hanger long enough or a motor short enough as to not hit the kingpin.

7 Likes

Keep me posted I want a set :call_me_hand:

I want a set :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hot damn! Count me in when available

2 Likes

Wow Kevin, congrats, these look awesome. The black looks great, and that price is insane!

5 Likes

Damn. It feels like Christmas already

1 Like