Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

Actually, i recommend applying the green loctite on the inside of the motor pinion instead. So you just need to slide it into the shaft, make sure it aligns with the wheel gear, and wipe any excess that comes out the end of the shaft, so no need to remove it.

3 Likes

That’s a better idea actually, I agree

Both would work probably

2 Likes

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. I have been for two rides now. On the first ride (but not right away. Roughly halfway through) I heard a clicking sound coming from one of my drives. We thought it was bearings originally so we swapped those. Inspected the drive and don’t see anything hitting something else from what we can tell. On the 2nd ride it was not happening right away but roughly halfway through the ride.

It makes a click sound at a certain point on each rotation so at a lower speed you can hear it but once you get past a certain speed probably past around 30kmh you don’t hear it anymore.

Unlikely the culprit, but did you make sure your keys are slightly Loctited to the shaft/keyway?

2 Likes

Yes we made sure to do that and also all around the motor pinion.

1 Like

In the Citadel:

5 Likes

I used 648 on mine and all good so far, 300 miles now.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m glad I ordered 648.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone answered your 242 question. I think 242 requires no oil or substances to be present, 243 that stuff will work in presence of oil / other stuff

2 Likes

Linny replied

1 Like

638 will work on the motor gear too…right?

638 is damn near the same as 648 you should be good to go useing that

1 Like

Both in the wiki

Not exactly. Let’s be precise here, as threadlockers have precise uses.

4 Likes

Forgot about your wiki post, will have to remember to link it next time.

To me, it would seem like higher viscosity would be easier to apply to something like a gear, so 648 makes sense

1 Like

648 looks thinner than 638

1 Like

High viscosity == honey
Low viscosity == water

Higher viscosity is useful for filling big gaps, hence why 638 is meant for ~0.25mm loose running fits and 648 is meant for 0.15mm max gap aka locational/sliding/snug fit.

Either can be used with a gear on a shaft - it depends on the tightness of the fit. But typically new off-the-shelf gears have a very tight fit.

1 Like

Eh what is 10mm, but I get what your saying in your early comment. It’s the same use just different size gaps and since I had some gears already done with 648, I figured they would have about the same gap as me which was under 15 mm.

Right, yeah I know what viscosity is haha

We’re just running in circles here, I guess the point is either works

3 Likes

I :heart: you

2 Likes

Thanks guys :smiley:

I’ll just coat the components with loctite before I put it all together then. No flowing needed

1 Like