Boardnamics M1 Drive NOW AVAILABLE - $159.99

You can sometimes find shoulder bolts that are 80mm (which gives you 1cm more on each side compared to the included 70mm). Pretty hard to find though. You want 8mm bolts with m6 thread. Most common ones are 15 to 60mm

1 Like

Arenā€™t the shoulder bolts from MMC?
Hereā€™s an M6x8x80 - https://www.mcmaster.com/92981A230/

Of course youā€™re increasing the moment arm further than theyā€™re designed for, but you do you

1 Like

Iā€™ll take this in account. Letā€™s see if I get lucky, anyways I have more options to check first.

1 Like

Well yes, but I think I will be fineā€¦ As it is a pretty robust part of the axle and would be difficult to bend.

1 Like

I bent 70mm ones like noodles. If i drop my board from standing upright theyā€™re all fucked, so donā€™t overthink it, they are consumables anyway.

Also, shoulder bolts are pretty standard, no point sticking to one brand, just get high grade steel

2 Likes

And the M1 donā€™t have adjustable positioning? Canā€™t have it reverse mounted or something?

1 Like

I donā€™t see how a longer axle helps? The drive mount slides onto the hanger. Adding to the axel doesnā€™t move that mount point away from the center of the hanger. Are you planing to add a washer or something between the hanger and the mount? Youā€™d get more space then, but youā€™d decrease the mounting contact area for the drives.

2 Likes

MMC isnā€™t a brand, theyā€™re a distributor. Of course you can find them elsewhere, just saying this could make swapping easier.

Also agree on

Those things have to take a fuckton of abuse. Iā€™m sure the safety factor is like x9, but I still wouldnā€™t casually shave/cut/elongate truck parts

1 Like

I will take in account this advise!!

2 Likes

I didnā€™t try to reverse mount them yet as others have tried and failed. And the adjustability goes in ā€œstepsā€ so one step is too much, the center one its just right ( but hits the kingpin) and the low one is too low to be confiable with that clearance (ā‰ˆ1ā€™5 cm)

That is one of my plans, make a custom shaped spacer that I could bolt on the hanger with small screws. But Iā€™d prefer not to do this so Iā€™m hoping the BN baseplate solves my problem

1 Like

I would not mess with the press fit for the gear drive.

It had drafted sides so you would make the fit looser, and as is it relies on the axle being tight to not have rotational slop.

Maybe you could drill more rotation adjustment holes to fit.

2 Likes

i have thought of this but my ā€œmachiningā€ skills are very bad so i dont think i could precisely make the 6 holes needed, and i dont want to fuck the adaper up.

How does the mounts work? Is it like those 2 piece motor mounts where one perfectly fits the truck and the other piece can be rotated and have the screw holes lined up to the other piece? Id imagine drilling news holes would work for that.

1 Like

Nevermind, just saw the post above

1 Like

it would work but my skills are not great and the space between the holes its not big and doing this might make the silver part prone to braking. i will take this in account as well as making holes in the ā€œblack sideā€ as it seems thry would be more secure. Will see what Kevin has to say about all of this. Maybe heĀ“s got some advice!

1 Like

Oooh i see, thats a good idea.

They look very nice, my next buy, are they noisy?

2 Likes

I remember when I used to worry about keeping things shiny when I was building them. But now I know as soon as I put a few hundred miles (kilometers) on them, they will be beaten up anyway LoL

3 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA I actually taped the motors bc I cutted the shaft. Im probably the less aesthetic-driven guy in the world :rofl:

2 Likes