Boardnamics M1 Drive NOW AVAILABLE - $159.99

Ready to be released into the wild :smiley:

Construction:
Each part is CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. The gearbox case and plate are anodized black for a stealth look. The gearbox size is optimized for good ground clearance.
The M1 drive is the first urethane gear drive to utilize a pair of hardened steel gears. The straight-cut gears are hobbed from 4140 alloy steel, then given a nitriding hardening treatment.

O-Ring Bearing Seal:
A unique o-ring bearing design has less drag than V grooves found on other gear drives. The o-ring compresses when installed to seal the drive from debris.

Modular Design:
The wheel adapter and gear are interchangeable. Running a different style wheel is as easy as swapping the hub. Helical gears are coming in December 2020 and can be run in this gearbox with no modifications. Wheel adapters and faster 2.4 ratios will be available separately soon.

Why gears?
Longevity and Reliability
Gear drives exhibit ā€œset and forgetā€ installation. They require very low maintenance even after thousands of kilometers. The sealed design shields the gears from rocks that would destroy an open belt drive.

Performance and Efficiency
There is no belt skipping or ratcheting under hard breaking or acceleration. They can handle more torque than a 15mm belt system. Gears boast the highest drivetrain efficiency possible, having as much as 5-10% more range compared to a high performance idler belt drive.

Specifications:
Motor Shaft: 8mm Ćø ONLY, 22mm length max
Weight: ā‰ˆ280g
Ratio: 2.78 (2.4 coming soon)
Max Case Diameter: 72mm
Overall Length: 122mm

Compatibility:
184mm, 220mm, and 270mm Boardnamics Hangers ONLY
Kegel/Labeda
Flywheel/ABEC
Bergmeister

220mm hangers:

270mm hangers:

Available HERE

50 Likes

1st!

Congrats Kevin, I know youā€™ve worked hard as hell to get here, canā€™t wait to try a set.

19 Likes

Damn the most beautiful thing about this is the price!

7 Likes

and it looks good too!
:astonished:

5 Likes

I need it. I need it bad.

5 Likes

I got it :wink: 4wd here we come :exploding_head:

7 Likes

dancing

5 Likes

K now that im in the right thread, Guys, Im lucky enough to be local and drove to get these bad ass gear drvesā€¦ they are the shit. Surprisingly quiet, easy to install, steel on steel gears!!! Lets not forget the price. By far my favorite of the three gear drives ive used.

Unique design allows the motor and gear drive to be easily switched from one hanger to another. The Bearing on the case really helps with free roll. Itā€™s almost like Iā€™m coasting on a longboard. Im not sure if the large amount of teeth on the gears help but it is very different from the previous two. 12/34 versus 64/23. I only have two issuesā€¦

I want to use these on different trucks and compatible with pneumatics. Those are my two gripes.

I paid straight cash for these and got nothing for my opinion, this is all simply because he made a great product at a great price. Great job kevinā€¦ karamdibs on the first matrix 2 gear drive

(P.s. I had posted this on a different thread not knowing this one existed. A few more drinks and Iā€™ll be better, my apologies)

19 Likes

Do these work with the removable axel bolts or just the hangers with fixed axels?

Only boardnamic hangers

2 Likes

Congrats! Just wondering what you anticipate the cost of the helical modular upgrade to be? (i.e. if I get these what will be the cost of the parts to make it a helical setup)

1 Like

Understood, I have BN220s with the removable shoulder bolts, not the fixed axels pictured with the GDs.

1 Like

Hey smart people, would a larger amount of teeth on the gears help them sound quieter or does that shit not matter?

1 Like

lower ratio is quieter if you could make a 1:1 with @longhairedboy 90KVā€™s

3 Likes

It does.

It increases whatā€™s called the contact ratio which is a measurement of how many teeth are engaged at what time. Straight cut is 1.0 to 2.0. Helical gears typically have 2.0 to 3.0.

3 Likes

im getting these once my next pay check comes in
im broke af rn

@Boardnamics, any recommend motor off the shelf? i assume TB6374 is just plug and play?

1 Like

If Iā€™ve learned anything about gear drives, itā€™s that everything matters. Tooth size, angle, backlash, shape, material, helicity, lubrication or lack therof, addendum, contact ratio, pressure angle, dedendum, chordal thickness, diametral pitchā€¦

9 Likes

@Redeye
You can use shoulder bolts, but Iā€™d advise not to if possible. More tricky to install.

Also, the gear drive relies on axial pressure to stay put. It doesnā€™t need a lot of pressure (itā€™s not just gonna shoot out) but Iā€™d trust a 5/16ā€ fine threaded lock nut way more than aluminum M6 thread

4 Likes

The motor shaft must be 22mm. I donā€™t believe any motor off the shelf works, sorry. No way around this limitation. Time for the hacksaw/rotary tool

3 Likes

The helical gears will be $30 a pair, so $60 to upgrade a dual.

11 Likes