Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

Ah damn, so 8mm won’t work?

I have these:

I don’t think they’d fit on there tbh. Kevin has adapters for the 270 boardnamics trucks tho

1 Like

Anyone had this sound before? Only really noticeable under load

Took both drives apart, no signs of anything weird. Backlash is good, shaft length is good… no major malformations on any of the gear teeth. The ride is smooth besides the vibration created by the rattle. I am stumped.

Any/all advice is appreciated, really want to get this running properly before the SNR anniversary ride this weekend.

1 Like

This is very unscientific but it sounds like something soft(ish)? It doesn’t seem like metal on metal unless the recording is tripping me up. Are there any cables loose near the drivetrain, or maybe if you have plastic hubs is there any way they could be wobbling on the drive output?

1 Like

Wheels and everything balanced really well?
Bearings in proper tension and alignment?
Is it coming from both sides or is it just one power train making it?
Visually the tires tread is in good shape and welt is aligned on the rim properly?
Psi is correct and no valve strangeness?
Any baseline w per mile consumption to compare it to?

Just throwing spaghetti, no insight

2 Likes

Everything is aligned, bearings look good. Honestly I can’t say for sure if it’s one drive or both, the sound was loud but hard to narrow down and I can’t hear it unloaded. Tires are good, hubs are good.

I haven’t ridden enough to establish a wh/mile comparison. The sound makes me nervous about riding too far.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, and you might be right. It sounds loud but upon opening the drive everything is fine.

One of my pinions had a slight malformation that Kevin said should be fine. Any chance that could be causing the noise?

(Although upon inspecting the pinions now, I can’t seem to find that malformation anywhere lol)

2 Likes

Uhhh… Maybe the shaft isn’t perfectly concentric? check the alignment of the gear on the shaft.

Other thing that coms to mind is maybe c clip touching something

Or wheels, idk

2 Likes

Both motors sound fine without the wheel gears. I filed the gear casing down so the circlips could clear. Well and truly stumped.

@Egtscs is coming over later with some spare BNGD parts for us to try and swap stuff out. I’m hoping that between the two of us we can get it sounding normal…

1 Like

I had a clicking that was similar in cadence to this with newly installed BN AT drives.

What it turned out to be was that the interface between the hub screws and the adapter plates was very tight, and the threads “clicked” against the adapter plate as the tires rotated. I took a dremel with a sandpaper attachment to the ends of each hub screw for 2 seconds, taking off the tiniest amount of material, and the clicking went away completely.

2 Likes

Going to try this. The interface between my screws and adapter is definitely tight, I’ve been noticing that.

2 Likes

i just had a wheel plate come loose shortly after a service, but only on the side where i didn’t replace the split spring washers (replaced all as i lost one).

Guessing i shouldn’t have resused the split spring washers behind the wheel plate? And do people use blue or red locktite on the screws? @Boardnamics appreciate any tips - cheers!

So shaft key came off while riding. Drilled a hole right through the drive enclosure. Not sure if this happened to anyone else before lol.

3 Likes

Well, that did not do the trick :frowning:

Even tried drilling out the holes a smidge larger.

I guess I’ll see if different gears does anything…

I still say its a small deformation on a tooth.
Mine took forever to find. It’ll be in the edge. A file will take care of it

I can’t seem to find much… One of my pinions has a very small deformity… think this could cause that loud of a noise? Not sure how I can really file it

1 Like

I cant see it, but if you do try and file. Mine was really small and made a similar noise.
Inspect wheel gers really well too?

Yeah, nothing standing out. Super frustrating. In the process of swapping pinions entirely…

yep but on a different gear drive,
your like whats that sound, i’ll check it out later
then you loose power to one side

2 Likes

I didnt hear anything, I just lose power to one side.

1 Like