Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

Mine certainly don’t sound like that. Did you assemble yourself?

Yah it came disassembled so i did it myself. I just took it apart and i notice that the backlash is not equal at all points in the rotation. One side of the large gear is tight and the opposite side is loose

Yeah that clicking is definitely not expected. What if you spin it by hand?

1 Like

All i can tell by hand is that the backlash changes through the rotation. The rhythmic clicking is only noticed rotating at speeds faster than i can do by hand

Could the motor (or the motor gear) not be aligned correctly with the wheel gear? I don’t have the M1-AT but I have the Newbee gear drive and when I installed my first one, on one side it was a lot stiffer than the other and it turned out that somehow the problematic side was not completely aligned. Disassembling and reassembling part of it fixed the issue.

1 Like

I think with the M1 design it would be difficult for that to happen. There is just one adjustment direction and that is moving the motor gear either towards or away from the large gear. Im wondering if the large gear was maybe CNCed slightly lopsided or something. I doubt the bearing is the issue. @Boardnamics have any ideas?

The sound frequency points towards the wheel gear. I would take it out and inspect it really well.

I doubt a slightly lopsided gear would cause this, most are a little bit.
I’ve had a similar sound coming from the motor pinion on my street drives. It ended up being a malformation on a single tooth. A file took care of it.
Inspect carefully, took me quite a while to find.

1 Like

I took it apart earlier and couldn’t see anything but I’ll check again tomorrow. I just know the difference in gear mesh was pretty significant between different contact points.

1 Like

It wasnt much of a malformation, and thats whybit took a while to find it. Even bought a new motor thinking that was the cause.

Some is normal, a lot is not. Proper meshing on one side can be tight on another. I set my mesh off the tight side and go a little close with it so its not too loose on the other side.

Hey, have you checked the bearing alignment?

1 Like

I didnt notice anything weird jump out at me but ill look at it closely when i get home tomorrow

1 Like

hehehehehe

my nut

1 Like

One more thing to check is if your keyway is hitting anything as it rotates.

Oh I got plenty more :yum:

Yah I opened it again and nothing is making contact with anything it shouldnt be. All bearings look good. I adjusted gear mesh again and made sure it wasnt too close to cause binding and reassembled. Still exactly the same…:face_exhaling:

Is it only one side that makes the noise? If so swap the wheel gears and see if the noise stays with the motor/motor gear/bearings/wheel/gearbox or moves with the wheel gear…if it stays then keep swapping parts until either the noise goes away from luck or you identify which part is causing issues

Do you indicate the runout with test or dial indicator and adjust before you snug screw that hold the drive gear onto the drive hub?

Working on installing mine on Matrix II.

Am I supposed to reverse the Matrix axle to get the righ angle on the gear plates?

1 Like

@rafaelinmissouri no?

1 Like

I just reversed the axle and that seems to be the right way to do it…

Seems odd.

My matrix adapters only have 3 holes. I don’t have any angle adjustments.