Black Bear - Faultline | BN270 | Rockstar II / Urban Tread | 12s4p P42A | FocBox

I had some space, l had a little buffer room but apparently not enough. It’s the biggest Ruck case they offer and I wanted it to all look purdy on the outside so I’mma just have to live with the fuckery on the inside

1 Like

You could technically chew off the rubber and gain a little

@Flasher @Skyart we had a false alarm, I’m just dumb…8x6 stagger is the move lol. I knew this made more sense when I was doing the pre-purchase math

Also I am NOT going to vandalize this beauty…too fuckin’ purdy to go stabbing at

3 Likes

I know

3 Likes

If you didn’t show me that I would have been running another cheap Harbor Freight case lol

Think that will pack dual FocBoxes?

No idea. Never had

Can someone explain to me why a 12s4p is better than a 10s5p of P42A? Wouldn’t you be able to pull more current and have a larger battery capacity with 10s5p?

With 12S you can usually push more power through your motor controller. Battery sag might be less noticeable as well, although the P42A does not really sag that easily anyway. The 10S system has more Wh so you get more range despite bit higher losses.

P42A has enough current output to exceed typical controller amp limits in 4P config so 5P won’t really give advantage in that sense.

2 Likes

More current is better if you can run it, the systems run more efficiently and cooler

I mean I don’t pull that ouch current anyways

1 Like

Accurate typo :joy:

Yea but if you are running the same amount of current, let’s say 60A for both the 12s and 10s packs, nothing should be warming up regardless right? (assuming you built everything with the right current rating) but you’d get 4.2Ah more with the 5p

Like if you’re not worried about top end speed, shouldn’t 5p be better in this case?

Thing is I don’t get to my top end speed very often, so by having a 12s board with lower gear ratios I get the same torque at less current, and it charges faster

Besides I got it all worked out anyways so no worries, plenty of extra space in the compartment, I have like 15mm of left to right space and 10mm of front to back space

1 Like

ohhhhh, okay that makes 100% sense. Sorry for the derail

1 Like

Haha you’re good homie, no need to apologize since I didn’t put the serious tag in :yum:

Besides I like validation and attention, and also for people to listen to all my problems even if I will eventually sort it out one way or another

The battery has a twin!

1 Like

I like Pelican’s R series. Stylish

1 Like

I’ve been hemming and hawing over the cost of the cases for a little while but I’m so glad I got them

God DAMN @Boardnamics some nice parts! These are sooo pretty looking, I can’t ever go back to Calibers after this

I find it kinda weird that the baseplates have the hanger length (which is wrong lol) yet not the angles

Also the sand blasted parts look way better than anything I’ve ever seen, the brushed seems too show a little more but not a big deal once the thin layer of road dust gets on them

4 Likes

Yeah the baseplates have been through a lot. Next round won’t have the 220 engraved

2 Likes

In preparation for getting the right bolts I have stuck a 60mm bolt into each hanger hole to measure them, the BN270 is 54mm deep with 14mm being threads, and the BN220 is 47mm deep with 10mm being threads. Based on that there is 40mm of shank in the BN270 and 37mm of shank in the BN220, Kevin said they were supposed to be 36mm but I dunno man

But the problem is one of BN270 hangars has a bunch of crunchy stuff that prevents the bolt from going in, and one of the BN220 hangars stops 4mm short (no crunch, it just stops dead like the hole is shallow)

@Boardnamics can you shed a little light on this?

Edit: I do not have the clamps tightened so it’s not like the hole should be deformed or anything, I do get some fine black dust from the BN270 when I push the thread a little in then tap it on a table

BN220 stuck side

BN270 stuck side

Edit 2: In terms of length, Black Bear will have a 43mm bearings stack and Cross Fox will have a 24mm bearing stacks so I suppose I get an 80mm shank length bolt and a 60mm shank length bolt respectively? I think those numbers make sense but I have never seen a shoulder bolt in my life so who am I to say

Edit 3: the stuff in the pics are cheap screws I picked up from Lowe’s with a skewer hot glued on so it was faster to spin them in and out of the hangars

2 Likes