bkb zenith questions

i was going to get the zenith for my first build, however I see the power wire comes with a xt60 and the lipos I will be using have xt90s. will it be a problem to use a adaptor to step down to the xt60? I’m not sure how much power the xt60 can take but I’m assuming it must be ok if they made it like that. sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, still figuring out this forum.

2 Likes

You could cut/desolder the connector on the Xenith side and solder an XT90 male end to it. Not sure if it’ll affect your warranty.

6 Likes

No issue at all other than taking up a bit more space. If you’re not concerned with warranty, follow Linny’s advice

2 Likes

right, I thought about that but not sure on the warranty issue.

1 Like

Adapter is always usable as well, since you’re using lipos you’re already going to be using some to wire them in series

1 Like

right, i just wasnt sure on going from a big xt90 to a smaller xt60

That shouldn’t really be an issue, XT60 is commonly used around here without problems afaik. I have 3 of these (XT60 male to XT90 female) which have been good but I think you need the reverse of these. Otherwise I can throw them in an envelope and ship em to you

5 Likes

I forgot to mention it will be running 12s lipo, still think it would be ok. i know with rc trucks that run 6s they often use xt90s but I’m assuming the power demand must be a lot more.

set your max battery amps to 60 in the Xenith and you won’t have to worry about it.

2 Likes

Per side?

(Agree btw, you’ll hit thermals on a Xenith before your xt60 will be a factor. I’m not sure an XT90 is needed)

3 Likes

Total. Now that vesc tool has everyone making settings per side on these unity types, it would be 30 per side. But you could go as high as 35 or even 40 per side before the xt60 is an issue. I have my witchblade set to 70 but i don’t think i’ve ever even spiked anywhere near that high, but i’m only 160 pounds.

2 Likes

Yep, people get total/per side confused which is why I was clarifying.

You’re not wrong, but speaking from my own experience, I’ve regularly run them 50 per side and am clearly fatter than you.

Thermal throttling happens long before your connectors get hit. XT60s are rated for 60amp constant, which is generally 180s. Esk8 application rarely pulls 60A constantly unless it’s a much bigger board/4wd/off-road.

5 Likes

Amps. Good times.

4 Likes

appreciate the help, its a mbs build with flipsky 6374 190kv motors

1 Like

You’ll likely want to start on the higher end of settings if you’re on an AT board.

80 motor amp/45-50 battery amp per channel.

Regen and braking current are user preference, but I’d suggest 60 brake/15-20 regen to start (per channel/side).

You can use profiles to limit speed/power a bit if you’re newer to riding.

2 Likes

this.

1 Like

I had my Madness build set on 100 battery amps, 100 motor amps per motor using unities… broke many things, never a unity :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

In that config you’re running ‘no software limits’ essentially, which leaves it up to load & temperature.

1 Like

@DerelictRobot so you think maybe he’s not fat like us?

2 Likes

Yeah, it was difficult to use more than 30 battery amps per motor from the metr logs

2 Likes