bkb zenith questions

Dude they don’t feed them all that well in the old prison colonies.

1 Like

i kind of would like to see a geolocation overlay with thermal throttling. promise the land of freedom and fried everything would win.

2 Likes

:joy: We’re already almost there with our speed/heat mapping on the rideroute:

4 Likes

thanks, sense i have you is there a calculator out there to figure out belt size. its going to be 15motor and a 70 or 72t hub, with boarnamics mounts. i googled the hell out of it but cant really even find a good spot to buy belts. at this point I’m thinking of buying a handful of sizes and hoping one works lol. found a calculator for about everything else though

2 Likes

Pull your motors all the way forward towards the wheel axle then measure this stuff:

D is the distance in mm between the center of your axle and the center of your motor shaft
MT is the number of teeth on your motor pulley
WT is the number of teeth on you wheel pulley

((MT x 5) / 2) + ((WT x 5) / 2) + (D x 2) should get you pretty close to the mm length of belt you need but since you have adjustment room, add 10mm (a couple of teeth) to be safe. Then get that size and maybe a set 10mm longer than that too to be safe because math and street don’t always jive.

3 Likes

thanks a lot. helps big time!

1 Like

Another way to do it would be to build your whole drive train, then wrap a measuring tape around where your belts go, then read of the length. Round up to the next 5mm as belt lengths come in 5mm increments.

2 Likes

Same here… Am I supposed to be splitting my battery amps in half on the 5.1 and forward firmware?

@BenjaminF made a comment that referenced something I was curious about the other day… Referring to if your battery max amps is lower than your motor max, you will have higher low end torque.

This could correlate with my lower-than-expected torque.

There has been exactly one kind of firmware that uses combined battery amps, and that was the OG Unity firmware fork. That was the only outlier and it’s caused so much confusion. :joy:

All VESC firmware has always been per channel. Fw5 was just when unity support was added, and that was added ‘per channel’ as well.

Kinda, but its not quite that simple. Motor amps/battery amps correlation impacts where your max battery amps start falling off across the duty cycle spread.

2 Likes

To put it simply, the red line is what you “feel” as zoom zoom.

Raising motor (phase) amps as high as possible definitely helps a lot on the low end. A lot.

But as said above, it is more complicated than that, because according to that, there is zero zoom zoom at zero speed which can be true in narrow circumstances but is generally not true at all.

10 Likes

Thanks that definitely makes sense. I guess I wasn’t sure exactly how they measured them. Know of any good sources for buying belts?

OG Unity’s blow gets like popcorn as they run in parallel once one blows the others in that set follow quickly. Safe to keep them 50amps per side. I wouldn’t do more and realistically you don’t need it. The evolve GTR has a 18 amp limit per side.

1 Like

That depends on your area. But you could google “HTD XXX-5M XXmm” and look for websites that ship to your location. The first 3 X are your belts length in mm, and the second 2 X are the width, usually 12 or 15mm. You should pick the highest number you can run, as wider belts usually last longer.

1 Like

I usually use the search terms

“310-5M-15 synchronous timing belt” for example, a 310mm long and 15mm wide version with HTD-5M tooth profile

2 Likes

Does anybody know what flipsky remote will be plug and play with the zenith? There’s a v4 for vesc4 and v6 for vesc6 or there’s the vx2 that says it works with the unity. I can’t seem to find out exactly what the bkb zenith is. It’s not listed on there website and obviously I’m stupid when it comes to this.

xenith is a v4 esc, but u should get the vx1 for non vesc, so u can use it in ppm mode

yes ok, pwm, don’t bite me

4 Likes

Thanks, as I said I’m still stupid at this. (First build) what is ppm mode? Would it be plug and play as far as reciver or would I have to rewire anything?

ur xenith should have come with a short 3pin cable, one side is jst xh, another end is black connector. use that to connect the vx1 receiver to the xenith and config the max/min in the either unity ui app or vesc tool app (fw5+)

once u have both item in hand, it will be easier to explain things

Thanks, I will probably be hitting you up when I get everything

1 Like

Can anyone give me some pointers on some parameters for setup? This is my first time programming and I’ve found videos on how to do it but I can’t find much on a good setup here or youtube. Just looking for what kind of numbers I should put in. Running 12s lipo but was told to keep the amps down. If anyone knows of a good thread on here explaining it or a good video I’d appreciate it.