Bioboards Thorium X4 AT Ferrari Edition - possibly the fastest eks8 ever made!

How does on balance them? My mountain board makes a valient effort to leave the bench

3 Likes

Make sure trucks is 100% staight, use small weights on wheels. You could probely ask a car company to help you

1 Like

4wd does not use much current at all :smile:

1 Like

also putting in that slime that seales the tube when punctures helps to balance the wheel

1 Like

@mackann

Do you have a link to the weights you use on the wheels to balance them?

1 Like

Go here

5 Likes

@mackann just have seen your latest insta post where you bench test the board to show what’s the max unloaded speed.
I noticed that on full duty the battery percentage drop from 93% to 75% and in the moment you accelerate even down to 40% for a split second. Isn’t that a big issue? I mean that’s now without load. Don’t want to know how hard the pack is sagging when you on top of the board.
Any thoughts in getting a bigger pack?

2 Likes

Yes, its a 13s6p 30q so it will sag some, but its still not that mutch and a big pack, but I have a big 18S 40T ready for it that will sag less. I just need to order a charger and im ready to go with it.

8 Likes

Great project Markus! Love it! Keep safe :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

As long as you’re not too picky about what “walk away” means, motorcycle racers do it all the time.

10 Likes

So… how about some news on this esc that can do 18s?

:thinking:

5 Likes

Is the last 20-50% of your battery pretty useless? Or have you just kept the thing fully charged all the time?
I’ve been thinking a bit lately how a battery for a race build would play out. Hypothetically, say 10 laps on a .5mi track, routinely pulling many amps. By the easy numbers, 9ah should get you around 5mi @ 40-50wh/mi avg (yeah, I know that’s unlikely in this setting); but at what point in the cycle does pulling 150amps from your battery cause it to hit cutoff voltage? If you are able to limit your draw somehow to just above cutoff, how much do you have to sacrifice, and how early in the battery cycle do you have to do it?

Have you looked into lipos at all for their much higher discharge rates? They tend to experience much less sag because of this. Comparing 12S 18ah li-ions(30Q)/60c lipos/100c graphene lipos, I expect there would be a pretty significant reduction in sag at each step.
I don’t have enough data to know if this even backs up what I said, but as an example, I only see 2v of sag @ 44v (<50% battery) pulling around 90A on my 12S 18ah 60c lipo setup.

This board is not made for race track, the only goal is to brake world record and to build a nice looking eskate

20 Likes

That is a lovely board. If I was still living in Europe buying a bioboard would be achievable.
Australia shipping and exchange is shocking.

2 Likes

What @ryend is saying Is that you won’t brake the world record with li-ons
The amount of extra amps you have to draw to get from 50-80mph is a massive amount where you won’t be able to get there because your battery voltage will practically instantly hit voltage cutoff

On the other hand if you could draw more amps (lipos) then your voltage decrease is going to be much slower

@professor_shartsis would you like to do some explaining here (you are limited to 500 words)

9 Likes

Since whwn do you need a gazzilion of amps to go fast?
You need volts to go fast

Hes not breaking the record in acceleration but top speed

4 Likes

Yeah but to get to that speed he needs to accelerate somewhat the longer he is accelerating the more his voltage is dropping

On the other hand if he reached 60mph within a couple seconds his voltage wouldn’t have decreased by to much

@MoeStooge (you know a thing or two about race boards

@professor_shartsis (you know a thing or 2 about everything)

1 Like

Voltage wont drop at all if he accelerates reasonably
But this all depends on the lenght of the track he will be using

6 Likes

I updated title and will let videos later say it all instead :+1:

10 Likes

Well I know that on a 12s4p 30q I can pull almost 100A and that will sag a full 50.4v pack down to 39v in approximately 4 seconds (no exaggeration). At this point the vesc starts to limit power to manage the battery levels.

@mackann currently has 12s6p 30q so I would assume pulling 150A would have exactly the same effect.

4 Likes