Bioboards Thorium X4 AT Ferrari Edition - possibly the fastest eks8 ever made!

Is the last 20-50% of your battery pretty useless? Or have you just kept the thing fully charged all the time?
I’ve been thinking a bit lately how a battery for a race build would play out. Hypothetically, say 10 laps on a .5mi track, routinely pulling many amps. By the easy numbers, 9ah should get you around 5mi @ 40-50wh/mi avg (yeah, I know that’s unlikely in this setting); but at what point in the cycle does pulling 150amps from your battery cause it to hit cutoff voltage? If you are able to limit your draw somehow to just above cutoff, how much do you have to sacrifice, and how early in the battery cycle do you have to do it?

Have you looked into lipos at all for their much higher discharge rates? They tend to experience much less sag because of this. Comparing 12S 18ah li-ions(30Q)/60c lipos/100c graphene lipos, I expect there would be a pretty significant reduction in sag at each step.
I don’t have enough data to know if this even backs up what I said, but as an example, I only see 2v of sag @ 44v (<50% battery) pulling around 90A on my 12S 18ah 60c lipo setup.

This board is not made for race track, the only goal is to brake world record and to build a nice looking eskate

20 Likes

That is a lovely board. If I was still living in Europe buying a bioboard would be achievable.
Australia shipping and exchange is shocking.

2 Likes

What @ryend is saying Is that you won’t brake the world record with li-ons
The amount of extra amps you have to draw to get from 50-80mph is a massive amount where you won’t be able to get there because your battery voltage will practically instantly hit voltage cutoff

On the other hand if you could draw more amps (lipos) then your voltage decrease is going to be much slower

@professor_shartsis would you like to do some explaining here (you are limited to 500 words)

9 Likes

Since whwn do you need a gazzilion of amps to go fast?
You need volts to go fast

Hes not breaking the record in acceleration but top speed

4 Likes

Yeah but to get to that speed he needs to accelerate somewhat the longer he is accelerating the more his voltage is dropping

On the other hand if he reached 60mph within a couple seconds his voltage wouldn’t have decreased by to much

@MoeStooge (you know a thing or two about race boards

@professor_shartsis (you know a thing or 2 about everything)

1 Like

Voltage wont drop at all if he accelerates reasonably
But this all depends on the lenght of the track he will be using

6 Likes

I updated title and will let videos later say it all instead :+1:

10 Likes

Well I know that on a 12s4p 30q I can pull almost 100A and that will sag a full 50.4v pack down to 39v in approximately 4 seconds (no exaggeration). At this point the vesc starts to limit power to manage the battery levels.

@mackann currently has 12s6p 30q so I would assume pulling 150A would have exactly the same effect.

4 Likes

Its a 13s6p, but yea same thing

3 Likes

Hey man your picture also shows my worries, if people are planning 120km/h I would be worried of the long ass m5 bolts breaking :thinking:

2 Likes

thats badass, no denying that…

stay safe tho, darwin isnt sleeping

1 Like

I would think that If your plan is to solely brake the world record then you could go for some really high discharge lipos at like just 5ah capacity

Something like 18s2p which can give you 300amp and 10ah

1 Like

They are high quality, no cheap standard bolts. Used for all my boards i build and never a single 1 failed and we have some high weight customers to

4 Likes

Any bottlenecking the delivery system from source to load is a mistake.

Pinging your watt ceiling is a mistake

Anything but the correct gearing for your target speed is a mistake.

Plastic gears may work on your Barbie Lambo but in no way should be on a phorarri.

Taking an untested rig into the unknown is a mistake and is also negligible.

Iv been wrong before. But im here to walk and talk about this. :checkered_flag:.
#vid&radar
Love Moe,[quote=“Trampa, post:156, topic:17722”]
We do not want our gear to be used at such speeds
[/quote]

Smart, however
Would like to see @Trampa with a vested interest in short track. Both dirt and street. A great platform for truck and teck development.

15 Likes

Nice product :+1:

my only comment is be careful how quickly you release the throttle at the end because the wind force at those speeds might be enough to literally blow you off your board with a sudden removal of all vehicle thrust.

7 Likes

About the gears you are wrong. Its one motor steel gear and the plastic, however very strong one. Its been rided on high performance board for a year now without any visible wear.

But im not gonna argue against you because I know you are the best on this.

Il just order a speed gun and we will se what happens.

7 Likes

Ill pin this one on the corkboard for another time.

5 Likes

please do your speed runs without anything round about you

an impact at 60mph is the same jumping off a 6 story building - ain’t no pads saving you from that ! :expressionless:

5 Likes