Best water "proofing" techniques?

No, on the edge of the enclosure. But every enclosure is different, that may not work good on yours

2 Likes

You’re a long long way from waterproof if your first find is heat shrink

Brian will have some good suggestions. But start with getting all components fixed in the enclosure. If you have space for cable glands they can help, rubber grommets will help but only if sized appropriately. And a grommet does little for 3 wires shoved through it. Get a good hot glue gun or if your serious, seal everything with outdoor silicone. Motors should get heavy conformal coating on the PCB components.
Water proof and water resistant are very different things

3 Likes

That same neoprene. I just don’t consider it waterproof until i have more money to spend

1 Like

I use vacuum bagging tape to seal my enclosure. It also takes a lot of the strain away from the screws as it acts like a very flexible glue in a way. Cut it 5mm wide.

4 Likes

:arrow_up: this

Also my favorite way that works the best is epoxying MR60 or XT30 connectors into the enclosure, the male side (with the prongs, not the holes)

So no gromments or seals at all. Just no place for water to ingress.

3 Likes

If it’s some sort of enclosure where that doesn’t work so well, I’ve done ghetto stuff like this

That’s neutral cure silicone and is super ugly but works great

3 Likes

Yup. Butyl tape. Sticky as shit, great for waterproofing (used on on car windscreens etc).

Brian should have used it instead of silicone, above (it’s black too)

3 Likes

Youp I’m having a channel made between my outer layers of carbon and fibreglass. And I’m either using natural cure silicone or epoxying in a short piece of wire permanently that I then add connectors to. Both seems to be able to pass the bathtub over night test. And if possible using a button less antispark such as gamer43’s then you only have to worry about a charge port. I use silicone there as well

2 Likes

Sounds like a solid plan :+1:

Don’t focus solely on water resistance though, also think about what if water gets inside :ok_hand:

1 Like

What do you mean?

That i use that neoprene for now…
When i will spend more money on the board it will get some rubber strips and become waterproof

1 Like

Ohh ok, what are you planning on getting? I haven’t bought any of this yet so I may follow you

I did something very similar on my evolve.
But I used a black paint pen to colour the silicone, it works a treat

2 Likes

I hate the stuff with a passion.

Super sticky, gets everywhere, doesn’t come out of anything and never cures.

…But I can’t deny that it works super well, so it keeps its place in the toolbox.

2 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion, agree it’s really nice

1 Like

Anybody tried or got an opinion on Flex Tape? I’d love to have a reason to support this guy:

Just thought of a cheap solution, might be straightforward for moderate amp setups and upgradable with cooling solutions for high amp setups :bulb:

What about vacuum bagging the innards of your enclosure? Heatgun seal everything, seal holes for cables with silicon. It will even help chase residual moisture out when you first vacuum and seal. Add clothing around edgy areas like battery strips and soldered cables.

If you need active cooling, add a double aluminum plate as heatsink to your bag with a square cut through, seal with silicon + heatgun again. Pressfit the plates, one inside the bag, one outside. You can manage however your want to cool down the heatsink then. Might even add mineral oil inside the vacuum bag for the hard-core.

As long as the bag isn’t pierced, your elecs are good to go even if water manages to get inside the enclosure. If you need to operate your setup, minimal to no cleaning is required. Pry open, repair, Re vacuum with a new bag.

Brian @b264 have you tried that yet?

1 Like

No, but I have recently tried butyl tape and it seems really, really good for water resistance. So good, in fact, that it maybe might not even be necessary to waterproof. Experiments ongoing…

5 Likes

Keep us posted on this yeah? What brand of butyl tape are you using? Do you have any photos of how you’ve applied the tape?

1 Like

I’ve only had some for about 2 weeks, I’m going to have to get back to you on that. Still checking it out…

2 Likes