Best water "proofing" techniques?

@b264 I found these foam pad things on amazon. I was planning on using them between the deck and the enclosures for extra water protection and maybe vibration dampening. I think I am going to do 1/8 in but depends on what you think of these.

Those look like they could be really good for over, under, and around the battery. I donā€™t know about using those for an enclosure seal, it all depends on specifics. With the right deck and enclosure fit they might work well.

1 Like

I actually found these instead:

They are ā€œclosed cellā€ which makes them more resistant to water. I think They will be good. I also saw a yt video of someone dunking this underwater and it protected the insides of the enclosure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOp739GFB1U

2 Likes

In that case your cheapest solution would be to buy evazote per running meter. Used for outdoor insulation in regions where punctuation of your therm a rest is a nono.
Also closed cell, so no water goes through, but, asumably, cheaper.

1 Like

Iā€™m using that. It loses that strength over time.
If you push it against a screw for a bit, it will push back and hold stuff secure.
2 days later it will provide no pressure on that screw and vibrations will make even more space for it.
Used some neoprene as gasket and itā€™s cigarette paper thin in some places

3 Likes

Hmm ok, then what do you use now?

1 Like

Make as few holes in the enclosure as possible. Less chance for water ingress although Iā€™ve heard water can wick through cablesā€¦ Not had a problem with that yet but Iā€™m not trying to submerge my board either. Seal up the holes you did need to make very well. I like to do a layer of JB weld followed by silicone once itā€™s dried but thereā€™s always that chance in my mind. I check and itā€™s always bone dry. As a last resort I threw some silica gel packets for any potential moisture. No idea if it helps lol.

3 Likes

What about some rubber mat, sort of like the ones you got in the foot area of your car but without the weird profile? Just plain rubber.

1 Like

that might workā€¦

yeah i saw that. ill use that for the ports on my board

I use M-D 02311 most of the time, but thatā€™s only for water resistance. I also make sure that if water or brine get inside the enclosure, it still works. Thatā€™s by far more important.

edit: this is outdated; keep reading

2 Likes

does that go inside the enclosure?

ā€¦amazing :joy:

2 Likes

No, on the edge of the enclosure. But every enclosure is different, that may not work good on yours

2 Likes

Youā€™re a long long way from waterproof if your first find is heat shrink

Brian will have some good suggestions. But start with getting all components fixed in the enclosure. If you have space for cable glands they can help, rubber grommets will help but only if sized appropriately. And a grommet does little for 3 wires shoved through it. Get a good hot glue gun or if your serious, seal everything with outdoor silicone. Motors should get heavy conformal coating on the PCB components.
Water proof and water resistant are very different things

3 Likes

That same neoprene. I just donā€™t consider it waterproof until i have more money to spend

1 Like

I use vacuum bagging tape to seal my enclosure. It also takes a lot of the strain away from the screws as it acts like a very flexible glue in a way. Cut it 5mm wide.

4 Likes

:arrow_up: this

Also my favorite way that works the best is epoxying MR60 or XT30 connectors into the enclosure, the male side (with the prongs, not the holes)

So no gromments or seals at all. Just no place for water to ingress.

3 Likes

If itā€™s some sort of enclosure where that doesnā€™t work so well, Iā€™ve done ghetto stuff like this

Thatā€™s neutral cure silicone and is super ugly but works great

3 Likes

Yup. Butyl tape. Sticky as shit, great for waterproofing (used on on car windscreens etc).

Brian should have used it instead of silicone, above (itā€™s black too)

3 Likes