Best truck for moutain boards

Yeah or someone who has one of our preproduction sets that were never sold.

Kingpin lock is one of the things we identified and sorted during early testing, long before designs for the airs were finalised for sale. Issues like this are why we have test riders and do multiple hardware revisions of most parts.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think he had apex Airs. All he says is Pkp. Then made a comment that one of his that he bent were made of
Material stronger than apex
Airs.

2 Likes

Lol @bboybowzer actually reads, they arenā€™t trampa they arenā€™t airs, my point was pkp king pins are piss easy to bend, it may not have been locking out the hanger, still donā€™t change the fact that you can still carve hard enough to bend the king pin.
And again i was mistaken about material

1 Like

Iā€™d hoped the picture I linked of his trucks above might forego such speculation.

1 Like

I thought me saying those trucks the v2 of them, no sno trucks and my current ones my mate machined up would do it but guess not :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@esk8noob
Great thread I love all this information :+1:
Guys letā€™s keep this thread semi clean :rofl:

1 Like

Awesome feedback :+1:

2 Likes

I assumed he meant in an air as he specifically said airs

Also

My points is that this is not true, weā€™ve never seen a production truck where this has happened. Just because your unnamed PKP bends kingpins does not make that true for all PKP designs.

I am trying to keep things clean but also trying to squash misinformation with facts.

2 Likes

Look man just read the sentence

Iā€™m trying to to give the pros and cons to truck designs and how they feel to ride, and having 4 skinny pieces of steel taking large forces is a con.

Gimmi 2 weeks and a set of airs and i bet iā€™ll bend a king pin

Does anyone know what material kingpins are made of? If they bend relatively easily in a PKP truck, do they need to be larger in diameter to prevent bending?

1 Like

What have I started. Lol this is fun to read.

1 Like

You started something really valuable. Lots of people have not ridden PKP trucks. This thread is giving serious insight into the differences between the different types of MTB trucks out there. Also, bending kingpins on PKP trucks is a serious issue that needs to be known.

3 Likes

Agreed the more info it there the better. We just need to separate facts from opinions.

2 Likes

strange assertion given the comments above from a vendor who sells probably the leading esk8 PKP truck, isnā€™t itā€¦

2 Likes

As @ducktaperules said bending kingpins can happen, of course it can as theres no fixed pivot point ankering a hanger (lever arm) to baseplate. This can happen for sure if you smack them hard enough, thatā€™s physics for you. What is important is the frequency of which that can happen, which is very low when it comes to Apex Airs. Anyone could bend an Apex PKP kingpin if you tried but the point is this isnā€™t common.

Guess what trucks are on this board hereā€¦

Andy hasnā€™t bent a kingpin and heā€™s riding at levels every single person on this forum could only dream of riding.

The kingpins are easily replaceable and we sell them cheap if it did happen.

Is that 1% likely hood a factor on how good a truck is? Well thatā€™s up to your own judgement but if you ride at that level you will bend and break any truck on the market.

7 Likes

Idk about the other pkpā€™s. But air has 12mm kingpins. No easier to bend than an axel, Iā€™d think, and as luck would have it both of those parts are removeable and replaceable.

1 Like

Hold my beer, rookie shit

4 Likes

If the apex air fit the finality hub system then I might agree with you,

1 Like

Not necessarily.
The kingpin is dealing with the whole length to the end of the axle as a lever arm.
With super wide hangers, and binding to give the rider the ability to put as much torque in as they want the kingpin is going to see just crazy forces if you put in stiff enough bushings.

Breaking/bending kingpins is already a pretty well known occurrence in DH skate, and in slalom.
At a certain point, with a certain level of riding, broken/bent kingpins are just going to be a thing.

If people in slalom are bending kingpins with 4" hangers, then thereā€™s people out there who are going to be able to bend just about any kingpin on 16" hangers.

2 Likes

Oh Iā€™m sure it can be done. But I wouldnā€™t call it an inherent flaw in the pkp design. And, at least with airs, itā€™s accounted for well enough by making them easy to replace.