Best truck for moutain boards

nah it’s the play in the bushing (like the squishyness) that causes it

1 Like

Not defending but keep in mind that there’s still the deck component.

I had 2 bent decks. One even resulted in one wheel being lifted up all the time. (If no load obv.)

4 Likes

Bushing seats simply have some degree of side to side motion.
More restrictive seats could help, but no matter how restrictive you make it, you won’t be as locked in with a bushing as you would with a pivot cup.

Restricting the seat also means less lean, regardless of bushing softness.

4 Likes

Do it :slight_smile:

Would love to see what you come up with

3 Likes

don’t get me wrong it could have fully been a worn/ bent deck but when they got the same truck lean (front heel side and rear toeside) i believe it’s just an inherit floor with using skate sized bushings.

would be nice to see another persons ideas

I’m interested. What material are apex air made from and what materials are yours made from?

3 Likes

Steel Vs Aluminium

Edit: …but this sounds like more of a kingpin issue than a hanger issue.

2 Likes

I feel like this is more about the quality of your kingpins than a property of PKP.

No one’s yet bent a kingpin in airs from “carve to hard”. In fact we’ve only ever shipped one replacement kingpin due to damage and that was in a fairly large crash. At some point that energy got to go somewhere and better bend a replaceable kingpin than the hanger

Obviously I’m somewhat biased and prefer PKP, but I have owned boards with most types.

Personally I don’t like channels with springs. No matter which of the little rubber butplugs you put in the middle they always seem to feel unstable at some point.

I then switched to trampa barrels which I personally really like the feeling of. I think this setup provided my most nimble and responsive turning set-up I’ve ever had. Which feels great till the plastic bushings die and it suddenly feels horrendous. Got sick of replacing them. Imo channels and barrels are Great on cart track where speeds are quite low and there are many harsh corners. Less stable feeling at speed or on rough.

Also this is probably unpopular opinion but I’m not a fan of the feeling of shock blocks. They seem way to progressive and always seem to have a soft spot where you transition from one bushing to the other. I’ve tried mbs, 3dsas, hypertrucks and all have a similar wobbly center feeling which I’m just not a fan of.

Also shock blocks scare me a little after seeing a big crash before when someone had one fall out mid ride. There’s not much holding them in really.

For me it’s got to be pkp or channels with barrels, each has a different place it shines.

10 Likes

I’ve never tried barrels but I reeeaaaallllyy want to.

Rode the apex airs for the first time not long ago and fell in love instantly. The way they float over rough terrain is just epic.

7 Likes

They start out great but after a while they turned the truck into a DKP with how it steers.

2 Likes

Amen. It’s like snowboarding in that you always need to favour an edge. I’ve never been able to tune that out. You just learn to ride like that.

5 Likes

I’m 99% sold on finality

3 Likes

Between Finality and Fatboy witch you think is better?
Fatboy with adapters for RipTide bushings from Hypertruck.

1 Like

sorry i was mistaken someone informed me, about the same toughness.

lol i beat those trucks to pieces, i’ll dig a baseplate out in abit, i patched them so much XD

not sure on the hole size of the hanger on an air, but when you lock it out (as in king pin touching both sides of the hanger hole) and keep carving the king pins turn to bananas.

totally agree on the channels barrels vs springs and the bushes getting eaten. shock blocks do feel weird on the center as you sorta ‘float’ between the blocks.

^amen brother

I’ve never ridden an Apex air or even seen one in person but it’s definitely the best truck on the market, in my expert opinion on this matter. If you disagree with me you are clearly wrong.

Also, Caliber 2 for life.

giphya

9 Likes

Where did you get your airs from buddy?

It’s not possible to lock out production airs until past where you hit the deck tips

5 Likes

I fought this for a while and only got it to go away with preloading soft bushings. I swapped bushings a few months back and bam, it was there again. I completely forgot it was a thing.

3 Likes

Sounds to me like brads really onto something with that big ol block thingy he’s working on.

3 Likes

I’m an old snowboarder and this is how I ride all of my boards. Loose RKP trucks and always carving or at least keeping weight on one side.

2 Likes

Must have gotten his from trampa lmao

Also, after riding my airs for over 250 miles I have no idea how someone would bend a kingpin from carving, that sounds insane

3 Likes