Best bearings for our boards...?

yeah all the product descriptions for the zealous bearings have marketing jargon and no standardized (jis b 1512) bearing codes. you don’t seem the type to buy equipment sold without technical descriptions

Because, for one thing, Zealous are shielded not sealed. I live next to the ocean, and the dust is laced with sea water. Invariably, all other bearings have dried out, and became contaminated with dirt. And at $15 for a set of 10, the quality is HUGE! These are nearly as disposable as REDS, but I’ve never had to change them! Unrelated, I have surf rodz, so zealous don’t work in my setup.

2 Likes

Why would zealous not work on surf rodz? Do you mean their specific wheels? Do they have small seat gap?

1 Like

It’s a demarcation. zz refers to metal shields, whereas 2rs refers to 2 sided rubber shields/seals.

@Bindings_McGee : 10mm axels vs. 8mm.

2 Likes

i know what the codes mean @PatRocks. i want to know which code applies to the zealous bearings, and why folks here buy bearings that don’t use standard technical descriptions. i don’t have a horse in this race, i’m not planning to ever be in the market for 608 bearings (cue bieber meme)

2 Likes

Because those bearings are marketed towards skaters

1 Like

Not even for one time?

Imma get banned

4 Likes

Some bearing codes can be applied, the rest of it is proprietary and doesn’t fall to any standard. Internal to zealous I’m sure the majority of it falls within some codes, but they’re not telling us.

I use them because I don’t have to worry about overtightening them, speed rings flying everywhere, or spacers pissing me off… They’re relatively well packed for use outside of briney conditions.

If you want to know about top of the line bearings for sk8… ask Tim Del. He had something custom for his 90mph+ downhill run afaik.

For 95% of us the only thing that matters about bearings is that they don’t suddenly catastrophically fail on us. I’d like it if we had an essay of a write-up of info on 10 different brands/I.D.'s

But we don’t

Muirskate link instead of Amazon

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/bearings/26121/zealous-built-in-bearings

1 Like

i can’t deny the overwhelmingly positive experiences folks here have with zealous bearings. y’all the last people i expect to succumb to zealotry.

but the product description for these bearings is so full of marketing hype taken straight from the extreme protection additive industry, which is the sort of thing that usually turns you off.

sure i’ll give them a try if i ever go 8mm, they are cheaper than sourcing spacers separately edit: I lied I wouldn’t buy bearings from these sketch balls when quality industrial bearings are available

1 Like

zealours work great for me, but i feel like i prefer the super reds, the normal reds meh, rust really quick.

I’ve never taken a single look at their product description haha.

Found em in another skaters house in a bin. Picked em up. Spun well, felt solid, had integrated spacers.

Built with them, they built easy

Rode with them, couldn’t notice a difference from a pair of $100 something bones ceramics

That’s when I realized, they gud nuf for me without questioning it. Gaining 5lb of muscle would make me a better skater right now than any bearing could.

Don’t overthink things.

Btw, the very fact they’re 8mm bearings makes them just about better and more reliable than any 10mm or greater bearing b/c of balls n physics… :eyes:

Many things in this current age have marketing hype out the ass. The world asked for it, and so it received it. Was it a bad idea? Probably, but so is human reproduction for the most part. AthleanX’s video’s have the most clickbait titles I can imagine (key word being I - I don’t like to let some of the clickbait I unfortunately know exists into my imagination) but they’re some of the most important knowledge packed videos any human could be so lucky to have for doing physical therapy…

Buzzwords are here and they’re here to stay… it is up to the young folks to discern where quality hides within…

The reason why Zealous got such a hold on people from the start was it was a community member on Silverfish, Brady who made Zealous.

Used to make CNC trucks and sell them on the fish.
Moved to bearings and put in the work to get what the community wanted and made sure he got things right.

The marketing mumbo jumbo is inherited from their grease supplier.

2 Likes

I honestly question this.
I don’t think I’ve ever had to throw away a 10mm bearing.
It could very well just be the 10mm bearings I’ve happened to get vs the 8mm bearings I’ve happened to get, but its definite that in my experience the 10mms have held up more.

2 Likes

i feel ya homes

anyone with package of these, does it list the country of origin? not that it’s sketchy if it’s made in china, but it’s odd that that tidbit isn’t included in the product description on amazon, muirskate, or the zealous downhill website

after all, for $20 we can just buy a package of ntn sealed 608, and those include that machined groove for the rubber seal to ride in

It’s my understanding that the smaller ball size in the larger I.D. bearings have caused many an issue. Seemingly more prone to failure.

1 Like

Nope not on the package and not on the bearing itself

edit : found this from 6 years ago. Not sure about the authenticity though.

another site :

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust information 6 years old.

Just send them an email.

… until you need to buy and stock a whole different set of non-builtin-spacer-bearings just for your pulleys or other things you make

3 Likes

Any 6900ZZ or 6900RS or 6900-2RS, preferably the last one

1 Like