Best bearings for our boards...?

12x22x5 seems common enough, Though 7 wide would be nicer

https://www.amazon.com/SMR22512-YRU-12x22-5x5-Stainless-Radial-Bearing/dp/B00DMFT6WI

Do I see an IBM Model M as a daily driver?

:fist_right: :fist_left:

1 Like

i’ve never found a reasonably priced source for 22x12x5’s, please share if you come across them (for the price of the bearings you linked you could just buy new hubs with 28mm bearing seats)

i’m running 21x12x7’s shimmed with nickel strips thas hella ghetto

1 Like

Same year as myself. 94

Damn ok. $12 a bearing just isn’t an option.

@sesat I was thinking of drilling out the seat to 28mm

6 Likes

Is that a rubber some model or were they still doing buckling springs at that point? Guessing probably not domes cause that probably wouldn’t have lasted till now… Mine is from '87, my keyboard is older than I am and it feels right.

2 Likes

Still buckling springs. Still ps1 connectors. Still heavy plate. They were around with buckling springs until 97 I think. Even now you can get unicomp clones

2 Likes

What about needle roller bearings?

1 Like

haha only if you want them for a one way bearing in a pulley I would think.

Oh and you’re one of those old keyboard freaks… I see

I love my keyboard. It’s just satisfying. Little hit of dopamine with every keystroke.

Why wouldn’t this bearing work? They’re wide but I’d think you can make it work. Normally you’d shim anyway

3 Likes

It would get very hot from running at our RPMs

smaller rolling elements=bad

2 Likes

I went ahead and grabbed some for 10$ anyway.

Still I have a feeling this isn’t an option. Still, maybe I’ll just rig these up on the caliber board

What about
12x18 bearings with a 18x22 mm tubing?
Seems cheap enough
10$ for 10 bearings
8$ for 200mm of tubing.
Seems better than shimming so thin

Yeah those aren’t fivestars. Bearing hole is too small. Looks like the precursor to modern day fivestars though.

this is the best bearings for our boards thread not the worst bearings for our board thread ha ha

honestly i think trying to make these hubs work might be throwing good money after bad

18x12 sounds like some really tiny balls

that said i’m secretly excited to see how well it works

2 Likes

Can we talk about large Id/OD fitment and why some trucks have a .010 tolerance or larger.

Been toying this idea

What trucks?

Caliber clones

So the diameter of the axle is like 7.7mm?

for what it’s worth my mbs axles are slightly undersized as well. once i put on the e-toxx “truck extensions” though there is no gap whatsoever.

if the axles weren’t slightly smaller than the i.d. of the bearings, e-toxx truck extensions wouldn’t fit at all

on the other hand, my surf rodz shoulder bolts slide through their bearings with no play whatsoever

So far I still think it’s at least worth a shot to stick em on a lathe and get that 28mm od.
I unfortunately don’t have a lathe, usually we use the one at my father’s work but that’s tricky rn

1 Like