Best bearings for our boards...?

Man, that’s awesome - wouldn’t want ya to give that up for a bunch of bearings!

1 Like

hey moon, what’s your verdict on the metal cages? have we found the golden buzzer of bearings?

can’t get a misumi registration as I’m not a business… metal cages are listed as “Punching” for NTN called “Retainer” I think. Can’t locate the metal cage spec for the generic MISUMI brand, but neither is there a rubber seal version for that. only the dirt penetrable ZZs available.

Im not sure, @bigben has them at the moment

Misumi is deffo the best place to get bearings though, for any vendor out there that supplies a product with bearings you should check them out.

1 Like

They’re under the desk, in some wheels… Want me to punch a hole in the box I’m sending you and stick them in?

3 Likes

Im not too fussed. Got a set of bearings here already

2 Likes

Skate bearings size and skate bearing spacing is a general problem in itself.

Japanese or German, 28-30mm x10 bearing with a 30mm spread. This is a step in the right direction. Tapered roller would be even better.

Most sk8 axels need to more spindle area to accommodate.

The larger fulcrum from oversized thane and especially pnumatics should make us reconsider using stantard skate parts.

Bearing failure is somthing you shouldn’t have to think about when you step on your board.

That being said, always check bearings before you ride.

6 Likes

Is there such a thing as over lubricating bearings to the point of damaging them?

https://www.endurobearings.com/products/bearings/max/

I’m thinking of looking in to these. Just for fun. I live close enough to ABI industries in Oakland. I was able to get some bearings at the source for a decent price when I needed a special size for Mk1 Avio drives. There’s also a cheaper option in the 608 LLB. I’m wondering what the resistance may be like on these since they are primarily for cycling

2 Likes

Enduro sell mediocre bike bearings

Your resistance comes from the seal and type of grease used

4 Likes

I’ll do it for science. Nothing to lose but skin

2 Likes

Hand knurling tool arrived.
No more noise in front trucks😍

3 Likes

Is that so the bearing inner race is tight on the axle?

Misumi I found the best prices for good Japanese bearings. I’ve been looking for a bearing quality guide. You can pay up to 20x as much for the same bearing. I’m sure to a good extent you get what you pay for but still wish there was someone doing comparisons somewhere. Other than a hardness test how would they test roundness? I’ve seen people do informal testing on a lathe but never roundness testing. Bet there’s a cool trick to see how round something is.

3 Likes

What bearings do you use John?

1 Like

In my opinion 2RS bearings with heavy grease are the best. They have high rolling resistance but who cares. I am not the one pushing the board. Wh/km also doesn’t seem to be affected too much.

4 Likes

whoa - is that where all the whirring / creaking noises come from in my silent push boards? For the longest time, I could not put a finger to it and it’s been bothering all my skate seshs. Thanks for the tip!

I ride dry - no lubricants - is this a crime?

You just have to change bearings often and will also rust and seize easily if you ride in rain or wet roads often.

1 Like

Just want to add some feedback on a bearing experience. New build with Heady shake bearings. They have not worked out well after less than 80 miles. Two let loose while still in the hub. Two more are garbage and won’t spin. The other four(from the front) still spin but are awfully noisy. Nothing like the race reds I just received. I’m a big boy and will probably be hard on bearings, but that was awfully quick. I ordered the race reds with integrated spacers, so I’ll report back any feedback.

Moving forward, I’ll likely order stock of generic and just swap them regular. The reds were ordered due to what could be here fastest.

Here is what was left in the hub. This and a ton of black debris.

2 Likes

Sent pics of the bearing failure to Zealous a little over a month or somethin ago. They wanted the failed bearing and said they’d send a little over a pack-o-new bear rings for it.

I sent it in, neva herd bach

I got honeydik’d

They did mention something about wanting to design an esk8-centric bearing tho :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Not sure where else to put this but just here so it’s searchable

9.525mm by 22mm bearings are just R6 bearings. (Inches instead of mm). You’ll find more options from cheapos to ceramics under R6-zz for metal r6-2rs for rubber sidewalls

Just like these on Amazon for 9$ instead. 9.525 mm is harder to find options for.

Keywords: 9.5 9.525 12 mm mbs bearings ultimate truck matrix ii 2 two

5 Likes