Belt Skip - how to avoid?

Would you consider running chains?

2 Likes

Looking at charts the bigger pitch the better for torque ability and was going to do 8mm pitch 12wide on a bike as it shows better w torque n I think was maybe a bit more limited in speed. is the bigger 8 pitch less efficient and more drag than 5mm pitch? gt3 belts? Vs the other tooth profiles what has less drag, noise, whatever?

But related to above I meant the smaller motor pulley is weakest link as far as what they state as some kind of base acceptable use related to belt life. It’s foreign to me. Do u replace cogs eventually, when?

There’s another set of charts w different tooth profiles compared. No one uses gt3 belts?

Sure if i could get a cheap set up

Interesting. Normally I would say larger motor pulley & wider belts & run the tension as loose as possible without ever having skips.

But Idk something feels off. Like motor mount flexing under load. Wheel pulley being off center.

1 Like

Are you running MBS hubs?

Im running super star knock offs, i have some mbs hubs tho, why?

Metro boards

I will PM you a link for chain sprockets if you want. I run a set on my board.

I had a weird issue with my Turnigy SK8 motors that drove me crazy for a few days. One of my belts was skipping nonstop even though the tension was good and the motor pulleys were brand new…turns out one of the bearings on the motor was completely destroyed and the bell had almost 3mm of lateral play. Under heavy braking the motor axle would get closer to the wheel pulley causing the slips. Replacing the bearing and making sure the bell had no play fixed it!

1 Like

Check this

1 Like

I think your center distance is way to short.
In high torque applications it becomes important.

I know theres a forumla somewhere to calculate optimal center distance but I cant seem to find it.

2 Likes

Don’t tensioners make it as if he had a bigger center distance? By decreasing the angle the belt comes toward and from the motor pulley, thus increasing contact points acting on the belt. I could be wrong, that’s just my “understanding”.

1 Like

This is pretty much correct.

Ideal center distance will be a function of the diameters of the two pulleys

4 Likes

This is a good calculator where you can plug in pulley sizes and center distance, and it will tell you how many teeth on the motor pulley are in mesh.

I find that on the motor pulley, 5 teeth or less it will skip over 50A. 7 teeth or more is good for 80A+. 6 teeth is borderline. Depending on belt quality, tension and pulley condition, sometimes it works, sometimes it skips.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/CenterDistanceDesigner

For example:

36t wheel pulley
Boardnamics Caliber II mount @ 62mm center distance

• 12t, 13t = 5 teeth in mesh
  • 14t, 15t = 6 teeth in mesh
  • 16t, 17t = 7 teeth in mesh
  • 18t, 19t = 8 teeth in mesh

62t wheel pulley
Boardnamics MBS Matrix II mount @ 100mm center distance

• 13t, 14t, 15t = 4 teeth in mesh
  • 16t, 17t = 5 teeth in mesh
  • 18t, 19t, 20t = 6 teeth in mesh
  • 21t, 22t = 7 teeth in mesh

72t wheel pulley
Boardnamics MBS Matrix II mount @ 100mm center distance

• 13t, 14t, 15t = 4 teeth in mesh
  • 16t, 17t, 18t = 5 teeth in mesh
  • 19t, 20t, 21t = 6 teeth in mesh
  • 22t, 23t = 7 teeth in mesh

Adding an idler is less for belt tension and more to increase motor pulley tooth mesh allowing you to run a smaller motor pulley.

6 Likes

Anyone use gt2 or gt3 belts or 8mm pitch stuff for something? Wondering what is most efficient n least drag. I imagine the more teeth and subsequent less bend in the belt the better

I solved my belt skipping. Added a crossbar and a crossbar for the idlers to keep them horizontal on the belt. Thanks for everyones suggestions

4 Likes

I had good experience with a 15t 38t set up with 110mms. My battery would last very long. The belts were htd 5mm 270mm 15mm belts.

1 Like

That philips head, tho…

4 Likes

Yep, glad to hear it @bearlyrecognized.
Angular pulley alignment is crucial. When both pulleys are not on the same plane angularity, the belt wants to track to the smaller side, causing the belt to come off, or lift with the flange, thus causing belt skip.

6 Likes

Adding that bar helped with the angular alignment. Some people will shit on belt drives, and rightfully so. They have their pros and cons, depending on the application.
I’ve briefly talked about this in other chats, but maybe not here. I will do so soon.

4 Likes