Belt Skip - how to avoid?

Im sure there are numerous threads on this subject. Let me start by saying I have not been able to find any information about what might be occuring on my build.

I have 15t motor pulley 72t wheel pulley and 2 idlers on dickyhos evolve style motor mount. I have tried 20mm belts, 1 idler, 2 idlers, different tensions… I just want to rip!

Is it the lack of crossbar and the pottential wobble it creates on the mounts??

Anyone have any suggestions?

1 Like

tension better

2 Likes

When the belt is too tight, the added ressistance is a buzz kill. It shouldnt need to be impossible to get on and off should it?

Do you mean place the idlers in a different spot?

1 Like

yeah, give it just slightly more tension. also make sure the pulleys are perfectly aligned

1 Like

Its pretty tight, like the wheel is not spinning freely well, any tighter it would stress something i feel.

Can you show a better picture of your wheel pulley?

Never mind: the lower teeth in photo look fine.

2 Likes

Good eye, that does look worn.

The pulleys should be new.

2 Likes

Maybe add more teeth to the driving pulley and the weakest link

1 Like

Twas but an illusion!! With a wheel pulley that large, I’d think you’d have plenty of contact area there. Perhaps moving the tensioners closer to the motor pulley would help?

2 Likes

The only thing I can see, and this might not be the issue, but your wheel pulley grooves look shallow and the ridges between them pretty thick.

I want to, i think i may need to drill a hole or get some extra long belts.

It skips on the motor pulley i think

1 Like

If you have some fast epoxy, you could put a couple spare bearings in place to test without drilling any extra holes.

1 Like

Do u all use 5mm pitch belts? Anyone use 8mm? Or GT2 or GT3 belts?

2 Likes

evolve boards use GT3 which is pretty much interchangable with HTD5

Whats the weakest link? The drive pulley?

the weakest link should be the belt it’s self IMO

that’s probably wrong though

1 Like

Nah it’s definitely deku scrub link. /S
I could be wrong but I think what he was actually asking was what is the weakest link, grip wise, in a belt drive(as that would be where it’s likely slipping) and unless it’s just a crap belt, that’d be the motor pulley.

2 Likes

If you’re running the same tooth profile belts and pulleys (what one by the way?) And your idler tensioning is halfway decent all I can think of is a larger tooth motor pulley for more teeth engaging at once.

2 Likes