BEHEMOTH : Kaly XL-R build on steroids

:slightly_frowning_face: yup, now that 1:5 and 1:4.4 are available for 103, I don’t see any benefit going to 127. They’re huge

1 Like

I know right. I got mine from the forums for cheap. But their so big. @Skyart keeps trying to sell me the large fancy hubs.

Are you running the wider spacer for your hubs it looks like?

3 Likes

I think the 127 needs to be updated to 1:7 maybe 1:9 gearing @3DServisas GIVE US LOWER GEARING!!!

3 Likes

No, at least not yet, but they are the bigger 8-10" rims. The tires are “trampa 9inch rodies”

I love the 9" primo strykers, but wanted to test something new

@Skyart keeps trying to sell me the large fancy hubs.

Yeah, he offered me a set to test too. I might cave in.

3 Likes

Good luck doing that with plastic gears tho, unless you make them massive

1 Like

They ARE massive…maybe we play with mod size. I don’t know I am not the expert here but I think it’s time for 1:7 - 1:8 especially after seeing how Solo runs the 300kv motors I have :dizzy_face::fire:

5 Likes

With steel gears, you should have no issue going that high in gearing. My motor pinion is teeny since you can make the teeth smaller.

2 Likes

So only with 9in+ tires? Could be 8in compatible if 3ds didn’t hate metal gears so much

3 Likes

The 127mm case and hubs fit 8in tires. There’s a premium hub that does the scooter tires.

But their so huge with 8in tires you have to
Lift your board from the motor end to walk it around.

1 Like

Damn, too bad it’s impossible to make a smaller case version! Simply impossible lmao

But they do. 3 versions .I didn’t ask any questions cause I wanted gear drives :joy: and they were cheap from another member here in Australia

1 Like

Impossible to achieve the same gear ratio (5:1+) with the same case size***

1 Like

@Mantas this upcoming Saturday, we’re having a build day. Would be stoke if ur able to make it. Details are in the PNW telegram group.

2 Likes

I love metal gears, but I don’t fault 3ds for using peak/pom. Their design philosophy seems to prioritize quiet operation. I don’t mind noise, but there is something nice about a silent drive train that zooms.

3 Likes

Making an entire new case for every ratio seems like a massive cost just to use plastic gears.

Considering BN drives outsell 3ds by a lot, seems like a bad business choice imo.

4 Likes

My thinking is since 3ds is a European country they cater more towards European customers and they want quiet drives since there are a lot more places in Europe that ban or heavily regulate PEVs. Personally I want a screaming straight cut metal gear drive.

6 Likes

I want this too for a race board, but not for my daily rid

Edit: 21s 1:9 400kv Inrunner 4wd :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

I don’t really understand why the cases have to be so big for the higher gear ratios. Moon drives have high gear ratio without an abnormally large gear case. What is different about the 3DS stuff? Is the gear module larger?

Everything I see and my personal experience with 3Ds gear drives leads me to believe that it’s just that 3ds teeth are much larger, I don’t know if it’s a material constraint or design choice but they are way larger teeth and bigger teeth=more space needed to increase tooth count.

I know the mod is different for my case to the one below it.

They seem to always do 2 ratios for each case/drive they do. They also have a bunch of bearings in them vs moon/bn drives

Edit: we’re detailing homies build log now
@xsynatic

3 Likes