Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Idk I just converted it to metric.

25-30 is pretty dang hot, personally I’d at least try to hide it in the shade. Depends on the airflow around your components.

1 Like

Should be ok for the most part if you keep it shaded, ideally keep everything under 60C as that’s what most batteries are rated to. If you’re in sun dashboards can easily exceed that in temperature, but the air itself should hover closer to 120F.

1 Like

If it’s not shaded, I think a typical vehicle can top out somewhere around 65°C / 150°F.

Not exactly sure. Also, it varies a lot.

1 Like

Depends on where you are parking. If you park in full shade then I wouldn’t be too worried aside from checking the car temp every so often. I was worried about my board getting too hot in a car in 105 f weather but it ended up not being an issue since we parked under a bridge and the car felt slightly cooler than it was outside.

Originally I thought I could only safely leave it for an hour in there, but 3 hours would have been safe temp wise.

1 Like

Uhhh I guess it got to hot? Only 1 out of the 6 bullet connectors seemed to have melted.

4 Likes

If it was a loose connection arcing could have caused the melting

1 Like

That looks suspiciously like it has been dragged along a road.

13 Likes

I agree, that looks more like concrete grinding than melting

3 Likes

Getting my first VESC today (Stormcore), but the Puck is not in stock yet. I’ll be able to get it in a couple weeks. In the meantime, can I use a phone to control the board perhaps, is that possible? Just to try it out, ride slowly.

Howdy, I’m trying to setup my mountainboard build, hardware is:
Flipsky Dualfsesc 6.6,
turnigy 6s 12c 12AH lipoX2 (in series),
Ownboard Zeus Pro Motors,
BKB voyager Remote (connected via UART)

I’m currently having an issue in which motors will reach max current without spinning them up, throttle garners no response outside of increasing duty cycle and amperage but motors remain stationary. Motors will spin up properly during motor setup wizard as well as testing direction but in doing an RPM/Duty cycle sweep both simply result in the motors struggling to turn and not moving anywhere, any suggestions on what to check?

Copper melts at 1984°F/1085°C.
That heat shrink would have disappeared if the bullet got that hot.

7 Likes

This could be an arc, regardless it needs to be replaced

Is there a thread of “vendor sins”?

Like transgressions vendors have had, such as not submitting FW to VESC or stealing from people, or shipping something that was less than advertised. Things like that.

Would be a good way to educate noobs and weed out poor component choices.

this:

2 Likes

Ok folks. Loaded Vanguard with pneumatics. Let’s skip past the “why…?” for a few - is it possible? Looking for 150mm max but would be willing to go with Hoyts too if necessary.

its always possible if u dare enough, the only limitation is probably hardware choice

That’s what I’m figuring. Trying to see what options are available. BN 270’s, Moon Luna 350’s (meant for angled boards so would need angled baseplates I’d assume?)

I think a Vanguard 42 with Hoyt 5" would be the bees fuckin’ knees for long-range rides.

Personally I’ll be using a set of Lazyrolling 97mm glow wheels and using it as a paved carver

I am thinking of making it a long-range rider that’s why I am interested in pneumies for it. I love the flex on the vanguard and having the bigger wheels would be tits. Just need to figure out a good truck setup to run them

In the VESC phone app. How is the battery percentage being calculated? If I change the value for total battery Ah capacity it doesn’t change. Just trying to figure out why it’s different from my smart BMS.