Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

App config → PPM → throttle curve

I remember that’s where i found it before. But i can’t seem to see the app config in the new vesc mobile.
Maybe i’m blind. :thinking:

Are you running the new 6.0 beta? I haven’t played with that yet

This is the 5.3 android tool

1 Like

I found it. Thank you! Didn’t see all the drop down menus. :smiley:

1 Like

My 6374 motor makes a weird sound at low rpm, something like a grinding sound. Bearings changed, sound not gone. Magnets looks great, stator looks the same. I checked the shaft with tweezers to see if i find an oscilation but I haven’t. Any ideas? It drives me crazy

Upload an mp4 video of the noise

1 Like

Is that with the belts/chains/gears taken off?

Yes, I also removed the pulley to see if this was the cause

1 Like

Wow, that does sound messed up and weird. I don’t think I recognize that as an electrical noise, it’s likely mechanical as you said.

@xsynatic

So what do you think? Heatsink necessary I’m this build?

Y’all are talking about throttle curves, motor configs and heat shrinkable pants. I have a real beginner type question for you. I’m running my first set of 150 pneumatics on my board and while inflating them is no problem, checking tire pressure is difficult without accidentally leaking out air. Since they’re tiny tubes even the quickest air escape results in a pretty big drop in psi. I’ve tried using a few different tire pressure gauges, from cheap car stick ones to digital and unless you’re lucky enough to nail the gauge seat perfectly when you do it, it leaks a little air. I know this is probably operator error but any tricks with these little tires? Seems stupid but I’d like to try and match the tire pressures best I can while riding

As far as I’ve seen you still haven’t answered his original question about battery current. If you keep it below 30-40A total (15-20A per side) it should be fine. Higher current means more heat, so keeping it low will help.

It won’t catch on fire without one, but really it all comes down to heat management. Either actively removing the heat with a heatsink, or just not generating as much heat in the first place with reduced settings. For commuting on reasonably flat terrain it will probably be fine.

2 Likes

Not exactly a “trick”, but the easiest solution would be to use a bike pump with a pressure gauge built in. There are also gauges that seal against the valve before depressing the valve stem (and thus releasing pressure to be measured), but they’re not super common.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, a psi or two one way or the other should be fine and not meaningfully affect things.

I’ll just try to be more careful with it I suppose. I checked pressure in one tire and it was around 40psi and when I double checked it, it let out a little air and it went down to 11-12psi. Thought that was pretty drastic but tire “squish test” felt like it was acurate(ish). Probably just cheapo valve stems that are overly sensitive

This is just part of the small tires we use.
I just do a squish test with my feet before I ride.
Most battery tire pumps with spin on valves let too much air out when spun off so I use a lever action one.
Pressure them all up to the same psi and do a squish test b4 every ride.

2 Likes

Never had a VESC and am planning on getting the Stormcore.

1. What is the max amps I can set with 6374 motors, Stormcore 60D+ and 12s4p Molicel p42a?
  2. The stock Hurricane ESC is drawing 70A from battery right now. Can I draw 140A from battery?
  3. Will the motors bottleneck because of temperature?
  4. Can I draw 140A in fall/winter when it’s colder?
  5. Can I have profiles on the VESC and quickly swap via bluetooth with the phone?
  6. Does Hoyt Puck have “speed modes” of some kind, or is that set on the VESC?

Thanks

What motors? How are the battery series connections made?

What motors?

Battery current or motor current?

ALWAYS specify, because there are often misunderstandings and these misunderstandings can break yo chit.

3 Likes

Remotes don’t have actual speed modes, only things they call speed modes. They don’t affect speed, only power.

2 Likes