Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Gear both for whatever top speed you want. 140kv is a better choice on 18s. 170kv is fine too. I’m currently running 18s with 173kv on my Croix with 5.5 gears for 40mph top speed.

3 Likes

If that’s the speed you want, yeah. You’ll need a pretty big gear ratio and the right size tires for that though

I’d usually recommend gearing for 5-7mph over what you think you’ll usually ride at

3 Likes

3d printer.

Edit: fancy 3d printer. I roll on printed hubs and pulleys for stockish level power use.

1 Like

so, please don’t laugh at me to hard- but I fucking broke one of my motors. While setting up the motors with vesc-tool I wasn’t sure how many poles they had because Meepo doesn’t report it on the store page for them (Motor for Voyager I had just ripped the whole drivetrain from my fucked up voyager) I used some neodymium magnets I had laying around to try finding the poles but I seem to have fucked it up despite them being really tiny neodymium magnets so RIP I guess. That motor now kinda shudders and doesn’t really respond correctly.
I guess I could reasonably just get the flipsky 6355 motors and call it a day but at that point like- y’know my birthday’s in a week and I’m not expecting anything that’s gonna make me feel too great from my kinda-sorta estranged family so I may as well do something nice for myself and just do a full gear drive like I was planning, what are the best options for that? I was curious about the Exway gear drivetrain but I wouldn’t be able to ever put street wheels on it and it doesn’t seem to have a sensor cable (?) so that’s no good, I kinda like the look of the Omni geardrive because it’s helical which people say is nice and quiet (would probably be nice as I tend to be in residential areas late at night fairly often) but it’s got a POM gear in it which a lot of people don’t seem to trust too well, however good POM is.

Are you sure you broke your motor? Sounds like some vesc fuckery that’s making it shudder

3 Likes

Hello, can anybody help me? I just inherited a 2019 lacroix Lonestar . It had no remote, so I ordered a Hoyt puck and receiver. I installed the receiver into my.unity focbox. Does anybody know how I configure the new remote into my focbox. Also, how do I figure out what firmware it is using

1 Like

I’m pretty certain. The one I didn’t fuck around with is working just fine, if I switch the sides of the vesc they’re plugged into and recalibrate the motors it suffers the same issue so I definitely fudged it. Was literally working fine before, lmao. gahhhhhhHHHH

14 poles / 7 pole pairs for future reference. That’s the same for any 63xx size esk8 motor.

Alternatively,

4 Likes

Download the Unity app, connect to board via bluetooth, run input detection wizard, realize you probably have something wired wrong, fix that, re-run input detection wizard, thank me, ask more questions about settings.

oh well. Tbf only really having this fucking problem because Meepo doesn’t tell you how many damn poles it has on the store page which is pretty annoying, I bought the flipsky 6355 anyways though because even if I do some geardrive stuff I guess I’ll need new motors now.

Also- the Omni deck came with a silicone pad that goes under the deck cover but I’m a bit weary to use it, I live in Portland so I will be dealing with water on an extremely frequent basis. I’m currently debating between either ribbed or u-channel weatherstrip, the silicone pad, and a sheet of closed cell neoprene. Does anyone know which of these is most reliable? My main concern is that the lip curving up around the edge of the deck may hold water in a spot where it can seep in.

My hoyt puck for some reason refuses to connect to my board. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe try re pair it?
Turn board and remote off.
Press three buttons on remote until flashing.
Turn board back on…
Link

Ive tried, it wont connect at all. So im not sure unfortunately, I’ve tried that. Green flashing lights but wont connect. Is it possible the receiver is dead or dying?

Its possible for sure. Is it also possible your receiver may have become unplugged or wiring compromised?

1 Like

Ill be checking the internals next for sure. Just trying to cover all basis first.
Definitely looking like an internal issue.

Got it sorted, it was an internal connector that came loose.

Thanks everyone :pray:.

2 Likes

thats a good one my friend :grinning:

This morning i noticed that one of my motors doesn’t want to spin unloaded, just stutters a bit. It doesnt seem to affect it once moving. I assume some sort of hall sensor thing will be most likely?

Definitely hall sensor issue if the motor works when you manually spin it, maybe a wire broke? They’re pretty daintyily sized. Otherwise you’ll have to supply the hall sensors 5V and probe the individual halls by hand to check for a dead sensor.