Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

What is this?

Like isopropyl or methyl hydrate or acetone?

It’s a petroleum based paint/varnish thinner, I’ve used it for oil based paints and thinning silicone calking and delaying the skin-over of calking to use on waterproofing equipment enclosures, electronics, and fabrics for backpacking. Also cleanup for silicone calking before it sets up - saves a lot of hassle to clean silicone calking before it sets up.

I THINK it displaces the water/moisture that cures neutral silicone preventing it from setting until it has evaporated and also has a super low viscosity so adding a very small amount goes a long way towards making calking brush paintable where that is appropriate

Are vesc Bluetooth modules proprietary or are they all cross compatible? Gonna get a dv6 soon but not from makerx and they don’t have Bluetooth modules. Trying to see if I can get one not from makerx cause of shipping.

I used a Flipsky BLE module on my DV6 and it worked fine

Perfect, thanks.

1 Like

Any NRF51822 flashed with the appropriate firmware should work. The wiring for VESC 4 and 6 is different though so if they don’t send you both, make sure you get the V6 compatible one or you’ll have to repin it.

Im on the lookout for an 8s charger. What are my choices?

Id like a higher quality than the cheap chinese brand with optional escaping smoke.

I’ve been using iChargers for years, never a problem. Try www.ProgressiveRC.com.

1 Like

hello,
from what’s on the forum I can’t tell if Onsra’s TKPs

are a good/passable/poor product.

I would like to place them on a hummie deck with some Bergmeisters / Sixshooters. Has anyone tried them and can tell me if they are worth it?

Hey everyone, I have a question about Balancing. It looks like group 10 in my battery is sitting at 4.15V, while all the other groups are at 4.2 volts. I’m assuming this can be fixed by leaving my board plugged in for a while so that It can balance but just double checking because I’m dumb sometimes. I would also like to know if this is a worrisome difference in balance or pretty standard if discharging hard.

Thats a decent gap there, not horrible, not great.
What bms are you using? Most smart(aka BT/can) bms’s can be set to static balance where it balances off the charger above a certain voltage.

Have you been monitoring any charge/discharge cycles to see if that group charges/discharges faster than the other groups?

1 Like

Using an LLT smart bms. Do you know how long static balancing would take to balance a gap this size? I haven’t been monitoring charge discharge cycles, I’ll probably start doing that though.

Guessing 1 to 3 days

With ltt tonstatic balance keep balance on but shut off charge balance. You can set the balance voltage threshold to what you want. I put mine at 3.9v so it’ll bakance when above that.

1 Like

I think i found the problem actually, balancing was turned off for some reason. Its turned on now though so hopefully the gap resides soon.

2 Likes

Working like a champ! Had to use the my uni1 remote but it isn’t acting up anymore but i lose one of the uart ports. The uart split from teltail works great though so no worries there. Put two miles of steadily harder acceleration and braking and it seems solid so far.

Ill put another couple full discharges through it and if it holds up ill re do my wiring and call it good

You have been running 5.2 for a while, anything to look out for?

1 Like

Not really. I haven’t bothered upgrading because it’s been so solid tbh. Glad you got it figured out!

1 Like

Throwing this guy back on the bench after a longer test tomorrow. I’ve been waiting to put the polish on this build for too long lol. If it holds up well im going 18s on the next build XD

1 Like

Oh shiiiit, that’ll be sweet. Sometimes I sort of wish I’d gone HV for my tomiboi…

2 Likes

I knew i was biting of more than i could chew with just this build, still don’t have it nailed down yet so just dreaming about the ramm paragon deck for now lol.

Gonna mess with glass frit and hv and maybe pkp matrix style trucks but nothing set in stone… or I’ll just make a flexi thane belt drive. I just have a deep seeded desire to break things figuring them out and im riding the adhd hyper fixation endorphin rush of getting something working

My almost-complete Vanguard build agrees with you :joy:

Doing my best to make up for voltage with amps and kv atm… if I really want a bit more power I’ll buy a DV6 pro and blast 120 amps through my Reachers

2 Likes