Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I am well aware of that already, and have already used both slots when trying to get the 320 belts to work. Took both idlers being used as far down as possible and then the belt would still skip and run extremely loud. Hell, you can even see where I damaged the mount’s paint by tightening the idlers down too tight at first :sweat_smile:

I was only pointing out that the motor itself is not able to move horizontally at all on these mounts since that was what was asked.

1 Like

I’ve got an old evolve GTR in my garage with a burnt out motor, “soft” battery and corroded charge port.

Wondering what do do with it. I really don’t feel like dealing with evolve again.

I figure I could probably fit 10s4p of 21700 just fine in the battery case, albeit without the flex PCB.

The ESC is kinda small and the ESC case isn’t very forgiving on space. Options are limited, I’m considering some tiny slim 4.2 units connected over CAN and most likely no more than 60A.

Would be cool to be able to salvage this sorry excuse for an esk8. I could buy a new motor from evilve I guess…

Buy 4 more used Evolves so they can all die together with their friends instead of dying alone

:rofl:

I’d rather spend money on things that can work well. It’s just a sad situation.

Thanks!
Lacroix motor axle uses two snap rings, one on the inside for position, the other one to hold the pulley.
The stock Alu one is not screwed down, it’s only held in place by the key and the two snap rings.

So I will leave the inner snap ring, the new pulleys have a set screw atop the key, screwing it down.
Loctite will help, thanks.

1 Like

We’re still using this thread right? Where are people sourcing bearings for 10mm axles and 28mm OD? The cheapest I can find is 4$/bearing before shipping.
US

I believe @Boardnamics stocks them now

I, the bearing guy, have been summoned.

3 Likes

While you are summoned here, I just got in some trucks from you. box came in an hour ago so I haven’t tried anything yet. Just don’t want to have to undo any mistakes I might make I have no idea if there is any recommend method to the assembly, so what is the ideal way to get everything in place and to have it stuck in place.

Oh and thanks for adding in a ton of half size spacers since I actually needed some and was going to waste time cutting full length ones in half since they don’t sell the shorter ones locally.

A small amount of red loctite is fine. The manufacturer did a good job cleaning the holes out this time.

2 Likes

Does it have to be red or would the blue stuff be strong enough if I add too much of it? :thinking:

I can just run to the store if I need the red though

Edit: If I’m understanding their horrible units correctly I think the difference in strength is very significant

Really wish they would have used the SI for torque so it would be easier to understand, but I have no time to convert if I want to buy it before it gets dark because I need a shower first.

I would suggest red for sure, if you have a tap and an air compressor it doesn’t hurt to clean it out but if you can thread it dry it’ll be fine, I used an Allen wrench on one side and an impact on the other so they are the same tightness but make sure tonot overdo it

You’re gonna wanna use red 271 for axles for sure. If there is anything you don’t want vibrating loose it’s those

You guys were both just like 2 or 3 minutes late :rofl: Left to go buy some 271 just before your comments.

You are greatly over estimating my strength :rofl: I’ve got a hex bit for a screw driver, a weak ass black and decker drill, and then some vice grips if I want more leverage. I don’t think it is possible to make it too tight with those tools and my weak shoulders.

If I can’t get it in far enough I can probably get my landlord to do it for me, but I don’t want to bother him if I can do it myself.

1 Like

Don’t forget your biggest strength… the love and support of internet esk8 randoms!

2 Likes

Yes :slight_smile:

LoL the numbers are a lot more helpful.

2 Likes

I’ve been using epoxy for years on Boardnamics axles and never been disappointed. Clean the holes out really well with cotton swabs and isopropanol, wipe the axles with isopropanol, and put TINY dabs of epoxy on the smaller threads and screw them all the way in. Wipe any extra epoxy off with paper towels. Don’t get any epoxy on the bigger threads.

Of course you can also use <missing number> Loctite if you want to :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I just went out and bought some 271 loctite. I have plans to strip these hangers and paint them in the future and it would be nice to be able to remove the axles to make soaking them in acetone easier, so epoxy would not work well.

I do like having the axles on during spray painting though since I can use plastic trays to prop up the hanger so I can paint both sides at the same time. They get tapped off during the painting

The new hangers are already very clean btw :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Even if they got all the chips cleaned out, there still could be coolant or lubricant residue.

But if you’re using Loctite 271, I don’t think that matters as much as if you used epoxy.

1 Like

This is how dirty a q top got after cleaning all three of the remaining axle holes. I’d say it would have been fine to put some epoxy in there without cleaning it first tbh.

I didn’t clean the first one and it is already set in place but it should be fine :person_shrugging:

1 Like