Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

thats close but no cigar

battery voltage is not linear and therefor, going from 4.2-4.25 is not the same as going from 3.7-3.75

voltage drops off very quickly near full charge, so you dont travel that far regardless of your efficiency going from 4.25 to 4.2

4 Likes

wouldn’t a km saved in the beginning be an extra km at the end regardless?

no. it’s going to be another 200 meters or so for destroying your cycle life.

4 Likes

if km is equal to like a ocknor so of distance, sure

1 Like

1km if u discharge all the way to 0v, lets gooooo

one time use battery pack when

2 Likes

I also wonder if it’s because I’m using an 8A charger. It’s overshooting faster than it can balance, so I think I might try using my 1.5A balance charger to balance that pack. Should do a better job keeping it stable and preventing overshoots, even if it takes a while.

1 Like

Those disposable vapes and the (thankfully not as common) single use phone top-up powerbanks have perfectly good lithium pouches in them, but no charge port so they get sent to landfill after one use :’(

5 Likes

inb4 someone makes an esk8 battery pack out of old vape cells

i have never seen one before, what cell they use inside? lipo? better not be coin cell :joy:

3 Likes

small lipo

1 Like

Reminds me of the old “disposable” CVS digital video cameras. Theyd lock you out after like 5 hours of recording or something stupid unless you were 15 and could open them up and disable the lock out via a few solder points.

4 Likes

The charger can’t (unless it’s sketchy as hell) usually put out 8A at close to the full voltage of the pack, terminal current drops pretty quickly around 4.2V

Oh my god I’d never heard of those before, that’s so funny. I hate business incentives so very much my god

1 Like

I’m not able to quantify “a bit” but, yes, it could be an unnoticeable amount. I was referring more to its existence rather than it making a big effect on your range. :slightly_smiling_face: Testing is always required to see what settings work best without going to far (depending on whether range or cell life is the priority).

Charging to 4.18V though, in my experience, has a noticeable effect on packs that were previously charged to 4.21V (mine).

1 Like

Agreed, definitely worth trying.
The current drops quickly once the pack reaches the charging voltage (including all the voltage rises from cell IR and pack resistances) but it can still be worth trying, especially if the BMS adapts the current level it stops charging at based on the bulk charging rate.

1 Like

I think it would if it hasn’t reached the full voltage yet, for example while it’s attempting to balance. In my case, the rest of the cells were closer to 4.18V while plugged in, so added up it would have been less than 50V and should not have reached the CV phase yet. I thought the CV phase only kicks in once 4.2V is reached to top off, since when I unplugged it early the voltage rested at 4.16V, and topping off would prevent that from happening once full.

You are the man! Thank you.

Follow-up question:

Can the +SD+GPS be used with regular old Metr Pro or does it require Metr Pro CAN?

2 Likes

Oh yes good catch, I also had the shape of typical CC-CV curves slightly wrong in my head and thought the drop in current started before the voltage plateau

No, i don’t think so since you can’t buy just the SD component by itself (It’s a “dumb” addon-board to the CAN module afaik). So my guess would be to utilize the GPS module you at least need the Metr CAN OR the Metr Pro with the LTE module. Just the GPS module doesn’t have the right connector and or i don’t know if vesc can even work with just the module alone.

The above is just me thinking, not knowing. So take it with a grain of salt and if you want to know it 100%, ask the master of the Metr universe :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s best? Charge balance or passive balance on a direct discharge LLT BMS? Why can’t/shouldn’t I have both?