Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I will say the one thing I am super jealous about on those LingYi ESCs is the way that when you engage the brakes, they do the thing where they lock the motors by driving the motor out of phase. When you lock the brakes on those things they are rock solid. It feels luxurious getting on LingYi boards with the brakes engaged.

I think there was some effort towards getting that feature on a VESC (it wouldn’t be hard) but it hasn’t been prioritized.

You might find this video interesting - it does a great job of demonstrating why the motor acts the way it does with and without phase wires touching.

At about 1:42 is the motor specific part, but the whole thing is worth watching IMO.

2 Likes

I remember playing with magnets as a kid and having my mind blown watching that magnet fall softly on that copper plate was simikar.

I spun my suspect motors via a drill, checking AC voltage on the phase leads and comboes there of, at same drill rpm, and read the same voltage always.

If the bullet connectors are just loose, dangling next to each other, barely touching, and i hand spin the motor, there seems to be something clunking inside the motor, but bullets far apart, or firmly touching and it spins normally or spins with resistance. or lots of resistance with all 3 shorted and no clunk.

I checked inside for loose magnets and all seemed solid, but the clunk with loose bullets barely touching, is disturbing.

2 Likes

Does anybody know if RT Data in the VESC mobile app over BT displays current draw and wh/km ect. only for one side? Talking about the maker DV4s specifically.

Hey i have a brand new makerx dv6s. So far i have updated the firmware to the custom 6.02 found on maker x website, i have also got the power switch working.

When i go through foc dection i get an error “vesc disconnected during setup”

Using the latest vesc tool.

I do not get any errors when connected to the vescs, just when going through foc. My motors are new as well.

I have not had this problem before with other vescs, can someone enlighten me?

Why are there no bootloaders in my bootloader tab?

Processing: 20240112_210521.jpg…

I tried various vesc tool versions and flashed 5.03 - 6.02 found on maker x website.

Any tips would help.

@BigBen @eBoosted @tomiboi @jamie @longhairedboy (&anyone else) By any chance, do you have a diagram, sketch, and/or CAD model of a tayto/jet spud deck?

Any idea where I could get more info, aside from CADing it from scratch?

1 Like

Ok just bear with me, im no expert but this is what i would check

Try a different usb cable, mine only works with one of my cables even though both are data cables.

Update the boot loader using the generic boot loader then flash the makerx fw6.2

Hard Reset both vesc tool and the board after loading the firmware. Youll have to set the button function again to 30min and always on respectively probably

Check fw version in vesc tool and if it’s good try detecting again after checking all your connections to make sure they are solid

1 Like

I don’t have one - you could ask BKB if they’re willing to share it.

But why pass on the fun of CAD from scratch?

1 Like

@BuildKitBoards

1 Like

Thanks. I am using the stock cable but can try a different one.

I have flashed the generic bootloader and updated to 6.02 the problem persisted. Not in the mood for more headache tn.

Appreciate the input!

More info

Both lights come on, motors spin for a bit before the vesc disconnects

Connections should be good to go

Will need to try another reboot tomorrow

Re download your firmware also just incase too? Reset everything then try twice. Also was the can stable to the second controller? Double check the addresses didn’t default to the same number.

Good luck

1 Like

Hey! it decided to work! It appeared to be random but it worked on the second try after a few firmware flashes and reboots. Thank you for providing these tips!

now, anyone have success getting a Vx2 to communicate and read back battery data (on makerx dv6s)?

I can get my remote to pair, and I go and change the input from off to current, but it doesn’t seem to tell the motors to go.

Also despite the status of “pairing succeeded” the remote cannot detect battery. Ive swapped tx and rx as my receiver was in the flipped orientation.

Thanks and thanks again

also tried nrf wizard

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I am new here – its my first post. I was an Evolve GTR rider until I decided I want something more beefy and upgraded to the Bioboards Plutonium 2s 4WD which I only took for two rides so far, but I absolutely love it!

My first question to the community would be: I am looking for a way to program my Plutonium to go into reverse mode about the same speed I am going normally. I know about the smart reverse but this only moves the board very slow. So is there anything I can edit in the modes in the app to make the board go reverse with the push of a button on my Puck controller?

Thanks so much for your support and this great hobby!

2 Likes

Nice ! Glad it started working. Sometimes vesc tool is so frustrating because you didn’t change anything and suddenly it works/dont work.

Remote pairing is between the remote and the receiver you have. You must run the input wizard to get the receiver to talk to the vesc. I don’t know the vx2 so you’ll have to wait for someone else to wake up but I would go through every option on the input wizard. Also doucheck that the app data didn’t change to no control type or something

2 Likes

Check the max duty cycle for the smart reverse, starting at 7% default is pretty slow. Change it to 15-20. Otherwise turn it off and go full current with reverse but that is something to practice with - some love it - i cant stop reverse burnouts but thats a skill issue

Vx2 should work without the input wizard from my understanding. Its been (mostly) plug n play with my other escs.

I did set the control type. Hmm seems like others have had an issue with the vx2. Hopefully i dont need to buy a new remote for this specific esc.

Really appreciate the responses and keeping me optimistic.

Thanks for you reply!
I reckon you mean change these settings in the app, right? When I make a new mode I found these settings:

• [PPM] Smart Reverse Max Duty Cycle
  • [CHUK] Smart Reverse Max Duty Cycle

Which one should I take and what is the difference?

I find vesc tool is one of the biggest hurdles to fun skate times lol. It seems to be inconsistent in what it does in response to my input. Like sometimes i just want to scroll and not change the fucking values!! It is partly user error and partly poor gui design and partly glitchey interface.

Rereading the data from the esc before you adjust anything seems to help and double check that some value or setting hasn’t gone to default is absolutely critical

1 Like

Do you want your reverse to be still reverse but with your full boards speed or do you want to physically turn around on your board and ride in the “reverse” direction but with the throttle flipped?

App settings, general tab, first line “app to use” setting will tell you which option to use. If you are currently using ppm (pwm @b264 i know :heart:) then the ppm one will work. Otherwise the other one (chuk) will do it